Other homes

This guide was last updated in 2012

The survival of records for independent children’s homes is often very limited and tends to comprise administrative documents rather than details of inmates.

A useful resource to trawl for records from such establishments is Access to Archives (A2A) at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a. An A2A search for ‘Railway Servants Orphanage’, for example, indicates that Admission and Discharge registers for that institution are held at Derbyshire Record Office.

The most complete records are likely to be available where the operators of such homes still exist in some shape or form, for instance Coram, which formerly ran London’s Foundling Hospital. Contact details for a number of such organisations are listed in www.barnardos.org.uk/childcare-2.pdf.


Religious bodies
previous Step
Criminal ancestors
next Step
We use cookies to improve your experience of our website. Cookies perform functions like recognising you each time you visit and delivering advertising messages that are relevant to you. Read more here