Appeal records

This guide was last updated in 2012

Those whose claims for poor relief were refused by the Parochial Board could appeal to their county Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Courts kept voluminous records but their format and content varies and so can present quite a challenge for researchers. In some cases, there may be documents specifically relating to poor relief such as the Poor Laws Minute Book kept by the Elgin Sheriff Court.

Individuals who felt that the relief they had been granted by the Parochial Board was inadequate could appeal to the Scottish Board of Supervision (succeeded by the Local Government Board in 1894), whose annual reports list each claimant’s name, parish and appeal verdict.

These reports form part of the House of Commons Parliamentary Papers collection, which are available to view online (accessible free via many libraries).


Poor relief applications
previous Step
Poorhouse records
next Step
We use cookies to improve your experience of our website. Cookies perform functions like recognising you each time you visit and delivering advertising messages that are relevant to you. Read more here