Moderator Control Panel ]

EMIGRATION FROM ENGLAND TO SOUTH AFRICA

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

EMIGRATION FROM ENGLAND TO SOUTH AFRICA

Postby AlistairJ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:24 pm

I am unable to find any record of my George Frederick KING family's emigration from Stepney, London, to the Cape of Good Hope some time between October 1845 and August 1847.
I am presently in Surrey on a family visit and plan to visit the National Archives before returning to South Africa in mid-January. Can anyone suggest any resource for me to research?
AlistairJ

Re: EMIGRATION FROM ENGLAND TO SOUTH AFRICA

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 am

Alastair - I just found this posting purely by chance. It is certainly not a question of "technical help" but one needing Research Help. Suggest you post again on a different board where more people will see and offer help. Good luck with your visit to the National Archives. Noting that you come from South Africa, you may find the answer is to be found in the Archives there.
Sylcec

Postby callbrian » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 am

Hi Alastair,
I have picked up your post via the app. Sylvia is quite right, you are on the wrong board.
I have had a quick search on the NA Discovery pages, no success. I would suggest you contact them before you go. They will be closed for the holidays and there are some protocols to be followed, what you are allowed to take with you etc.
Here is a link to an emigrants page, which may help.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... grants.htm
If you haven't already done so, can I suggest you try 'Rootschat.com' they have a dedicated South Africa page.Make sure you use the correct board though!
Good Luck
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Alistair,
this could be a link to look at and possibly make contact with.
http://www.sagenealogy.co.za/Links.htm#Ships & Passenger Links
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Return to Technical help