Moderator Control Panel ]

John Fielden 1801-1868

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Fielden 1801-1868

Postby raeswabey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:17 pm

My grandmother's surname was Fielden and her family was rumoured to be directly descended from the multi millionaire cotton manufacturing dynasty of the same name. I have managed to trace her lineage to one John Fielden born 1801 in Walden. This John Fielden was alleged to have been a Medicine Manufacturer in the census of 1851 &1861. He was supposedly involved in the design and manufacture of a safer form of cops for the Cotton Manufacture Industry. He died sadly a broken man in 1868 having failed to secure the patent for his cops design.

There were a number of John Fieldens born around 1800 in Walden/Todmorden. I have found one Baptismal Certificate for one John Fielden born of Betty Clegg. The alleged father is said to be Samuel Fielden son of the founder of the Fielden dynasty. Samuel is meant to have had two illegitimate sons both of whom were catered for financially by his family.

Does anyone know what happened to the sons of Samuel Fielden especially this John Fielden supposedly born of Betty Clegg in 1801? Can anyone provide any tips on how to find this man's roots and supposed connection to the dynasty?
raeswabey

Re: John Fielden 1801-1868

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm

I have found the following information online about a different John Fielden, son of a Joshua Fielden:-

John Fielden (1784-1849) was born at Todmorden into a Quaker family. His father owned a business, Joshua Fielden & Sons, and at 10 years old, John began work as an apprentice in their cotton factory. In time the five brothers of the family came to be partners in Fielden Brothers, based at Waterside Mill, Todmorden, and one of the largest textile companies in Britain.

From childhood, and his experience in his father's mill, John developed a keen concern for improving the welfare of workers, especially children, and his sympathies were broadly shared by his brothers. The fluctuating economic fortunes of the turn of the 19th century, which had a severe effect on the poor around Todmorden and contributed to the movements of Luddism and Chartism, confirmed his radicalism and over the years he earned himself the local nickname of 'Honest John' and his statue today stands in Centre Vale Park, Todmorden.

The Fielden Brothers petitioned Parliament to legislate for the protection of child workers in 1816, and began advocating a minimum wage when declining incomes took their toll on poorer livelihoods in the early 19th century. Active in the Manchester Political Union, agitating for adult male suffrage, by 1831 he had co-founded the Todmorden Political Union. In 1832 he and William Cobbett were elected Radical MPs for the Oldham constituency. These two had been key figures in the campaign leading to the 1832 Reform Act and became leaders of the parliamentary reform movement.

Fielden bitterly opposed the 1834 Poor Law Act and compensation payments to former slave-owners, and supported national public education (voting against measures giving financial aid to church schools) and reduced working hours for factory children and other workers. This last campaign finally led to the Ten Hours Act of 1847, which limited women's work to ten hours a day and inevitably, due to the division of labour, also reduced men's and children's working day. Fielden's own preference from the start had been an 8- hour day for all, but he was aware that such an aim could only be realised incrementally.

John Fielden was a practising Unitarian and in 1824 funded the construction of the first Unitarian Chapel in Todmorden, where he was buried following his death at Skeynes in Kent. The present Grade 1 Listed Unitarian Church, built in 1865-69, was financed in their father's memory by his three sons.

This page also links to some information about this John Fielden:- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ielden.htm

Have you looked in the nonconformist records to try and trace your Fielden ancestors?
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm

You may also be interested in the Fielden Society website:-

http://fielden-society.btck.co.uk/

And this link:-

http://archiveswiki.wyjs.org.uk/index.p ... _Todmorden
ksouthall

Postby Zfielden89 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:17 am

Hi, I happen to know quite abit about Fielden history. I think somewhere along the line you have got a little muddled up. John Fielden you speak of born in 1801 is not the same John who owned and built up the cotton industry. John Fielden born 1784-1849 was the man who built up industries in Tobmorden, his parents were called Joshua Fielden and Jenny Greenwood not Betty Clegg. John Fielden from Todmorden born 1784 had 7 children, one of which you mentioned, Samuel Fielden born 1816 only 1 child called John Ashton Fielden born 1859 (he never had any children). Hope this info helps clear things up and you can find correct family history from this. It is daunting and confusing. Luckily my grandfather still remembers his great grandfather who was the grandchild of Thomas Fielden born to Joshua Fielden. The Fielden line is massive as if they had children they tend to have many.
Zfielden89

Postby lojo41 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi
I have most of the Fielden's in a tree I am doing for a friend I will gladly share any info you need

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
lojo41

Postby lojo41 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Hannah fielder lived with James Baron until his death in 1819 they never married but had 3 children ,
Betty Fielden C1800
Samuel Baron Fielden 1807-1860
James Baron Fielden 1811-1851
Hannah went on to marry James brother Thomas in 1819 , when Thomas died he left the bulk of his estate to Hannah's children

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
lojo41

Return to General research queries