Moderator Control Panel ]

Found Prisoner of War Dog Tag

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Found Prisoner of War Dog Tag

Postby rhinorunner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 pm

My son found a WWII Dog Tag which apparently belongs to W.C. McConnell, Warrant Officer Class I, Royal Artillery. I am trying to find him or his family so that we can return the Dog Tag to it's rightful owner. If you have any information on W. C. McConnell please let me know. Thank you.
rhinorunner

Re: Found Prisoner of War Dog Tag

Postby phsvm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here but how do you know he was a PoW?

Maybe try contacting the Royal Artillery Association - http://www.theraa.co.uk/

they may be able to point you in the right direction as to what the W C stands for at the very least and then you'd have a bit more to go on.
phsvm

Postby rhinorunner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

I know it to be a prisoner of war tag because the tag is STALAG VIII-C with a number 15902. This is the only bit of information that I have so I contacted the Sarah Williams who was able to provide the information that it belonged to W C McConnell. Ms. Williams then directed me to post to this magazine with hopes to find the McConnell family and return the dog tag.
rhinorunner

Postby rhinorunner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:11 pm

It was Sarah Williams from the Royal Artillery Association that connected me with this sight. I have also sent messages to the Forces of War Records but haven't had any luck there. I will not give up because I do want to find it's rightful owner. Thank you for your help.
rhinorunner

Postby a-s-e » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 am

Hi,

His soldier number as 753104. I can see a prisoner of war record for him on GR but my sub doesn't give me access to it.

There does appear to be a record for him at Forces War Records. I do not have a sub but maybe someone that does could look at it for you ? Or a 1 month sub is £8.95. The record looks like it might contain his 'resided' town which might be helpful ?

There are 2 WC McConnell on free BMD that I can see
William Charles West Derby 1904
William C Barnsley 1910

The Barnsley WC appears on 2 family trees on GR. I have just sent them a message asking if they know if their WC had been a POW.....

There are lots of Irish & Scottish McConnells though so some kind of town would be good....
a-s-e

Postby Philip Bker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm

[b]Warrant Officer W. C. McConnell[/b] was certainly a prisoner of war - his name appears on the National Archive's 1943 list of POWs held by Germany. He was at Lamsdorf (now Lambinowice in Poland) which was originally Stalag VIIIB and later renamed Stalag 344. The site of that camp now houses the Polish Central Prisoner of War Museum. Lots more details (of the camp, though not of W. O. McConnell unfortunately) on the website about the camp that I maintain. Unfortunately this forum won't allow me to include the website address (I don't understand why, as website addresses are some of the most useful things to share when trying to trace ancestors etc) but if you do a search for Lamsdorf you will find the Lamsdorf Website easily. I am often asked for help from readers of Who do you think you are? and will be glad to help further if I can. This was a huge camp and as many as 40,000 British and other Commonwealth POWs were there at some time during the war.
Philip Bker

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello Philip,

To prevent spam, the system only lets you include website addresses once you have been a member for a certain number of days and created several posts. Sorry!

Maybe you can contact rhinorunner through a private message (just click 'PM'), exchange email addresses and take it from there?

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Military help