Moderator Control Panel ]

Nurses Uniform What Type,From Where?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Nurses Uniform What Type,From Where?

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Help please!

Can anyone identify what I presume is a hospital in the background of this photograph?

The lady on the left is Vera Margery McDougall. She was born in 1907 and lived in Hunton and Startforth in Yorkshire as a child, she married in 1934 in Aldershot, Hampshire. Does her nurses uniform give a clue to the hospital and what year was the photograph taken?

Are you related to her?

I look forward with thanks to any replies.

Kind regards
Grandma Jedi
Attachments
MargieCheadle2_edited-6.jpg
MargieCheadle2_edited-6.jpg (246.34 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Last edited by Grandma Jedi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grandma Jedi

Re: Which hospital is this?

Postby Sylcec » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:32 am

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer, but registration of nurses commenced in 1919 (Midwives earlier) so maybe you could trace Vera's place of training and registration. As a start you could try contacting the Nursing and Midwifery Council http://www.nmc-uk.org/Contact-us/.
Ah, but on further investigation it appears that the records you want are held at the National Archives, see: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C6416
Sylcec

Postby vnolan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

Have you thought that the building in the photo could be part of one of those grand estates that had been taken over for the use of a hospital as so many were during the 30's & 40's?

Like Sylvia I would start looking at the National Archives first.

VNolan

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vnolan

Postby ColinB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm

An article in the Nursing Times about nursing in the 1950s states that at that time nurses who wished to marry had to leave the profession. As she married in 1934 the photo must date to before then.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:36 pm

My thanks to the ever helpful Sylcec and ColinB. I have tried to get the information from the National Archives website of the registration of nurses but can't get anything to show up on the DT 10/201 list of nurses. I know I am having a problem at the moment with Windows Explorer but wondered if you can put in a name search and what you would be able to access?

I think it is a hospital on the photo and the photo was taken before 1934. There also appears to be a chapel attached and a crucifix in the grass in front of the two women, could these be clues?

Thanks also to VNolan for your reply.

Kind Regards
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Sorry to mislead Grandma Jedi but I don't believe that the Nurses Registration lists have actually been digitised. I think you will need to actually go to TNA and view the records (or get someone else to do it for you).
Sylcec

Postby Grandma Jedi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for that Sylvia.

The December WDYTYA magazine is interesting isn't it? Nice to know your name.

Happy Christmas
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby phsvm » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:32 pm

This is probably a complete red herring and of absoutely no use at all but as soon as I looked at the photo it reminded me of an Anglican convent I know. The style of the building and the fact that there is a chapel attached to it just made me think of it immediately.

Could the two nurse had ever been attached to a convent as lay staff working in the infirmary?

As I said, probably a complete red herring but perhaps worth a moment's thought.

Also have you thought about asking in local newspapers - in Yorkshire or Hampshire - if any of their readers recognise the setting?
phsvm

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:57 am

Could it even be a boarding school rather than a hospital? I think boarding schools had live in nurses in case any of the pupils or staff were injured or taken ill.
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 am

I'd agree withthe last comment as well -possibly a boarding school. It looks very like two I know of, both run by Anglican nuns.
phsvm

Next

Return to Photo identification