Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Yates of Alconbury, Huntingdonshire, 1875

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Yates of Alconbury, Huntingdonshire, 1875

Postby Yartin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:48 pm

It's not Elizabeth, born c1841, either as she too was buried. It's a knotty problem. It could be that Mary was illegitimate but knew who her father was, and hence gave his name on her marriage certificate. Up to that point she may have been using a different surname completely. An outside chance. That would looking for Mary's born in or around Alconbury in general though, and trying to track them.

The fact that Mary was so far from her birth place isn't likely to be too significant as even young people in service could move to an entirely different part of the country. She may have been in London, for instance, before making her way to Kent.
Yartin

Postby hassamal » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Mary was calling herself Yates in Cranbrook Union Workhouse, where her son William Thomas was born in 1875, but there is no Mary Yates born in Huntingdonshire in the 1840s in the 1871 Censuses, so she evidently had a different family name prior to arriving at Cranbrook.

There are around 20 Marys born in Alconbury or Alconbury Weston between 1843 and 1847 identifiable in the 1851 Census. I'm not sure whether following each of them is necessarily going to reveal the identity of the Mary Yates who married Andrew Styles, but I think you are right in suggesting that the way to tackle this is through Mary's given name and her place and date of birth.

More anon, I hope.

Andrew
hassamal

Postby hassamal » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I have identified ten individuals called Mary who, according to the census records, were born in either Alconbury or Alconbury Weston and who were between the ages of 6 and 8 in 1851, the age Mary Yates would have been according to the four censuses for Mary Styles from 1881 to 1911. And I have eliminated each of them as the person who married Andrew Styles in 1876.

I have not checked those called Mary Ann, as Mary Yates did not style herself Mary Ann and I get the impression that, at the time, the name Mary Ann was widely regarded as a composite, Maryann, and not usually simplified to Mary.

Still looking for the breakthrough.

Andrew
hassamal

Postby nenepops » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Did you find any more info on this family? These were my great great grandparents. I have got as far as William Yates 1813.
nenepops

Previous

Return to General research queries