Moderator Control Panel ]

Was he a WW1 prisoner

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Was he a WW1 prisoner

Postby Follie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:47 am

I have tried for a long time to find information about by granddad Robert George Fraser born 1880 in Liverpool. I have his army records from when he was aged 18 in the late 1890s but nothing else. The story goes that he joined up in WW1 and my grandmother had a telegram to say that he had been killed. When the war ended he arrived home saying that he had been a prisoner of war in Germany and had been captured almost on arrival in France. He said that he had tried to escape 3 times and had been severely punished.
As far as I know, he was with the Loyal Nth. Lancashire Regiment.
I know that many records were destroyed during WW2 and I have come to the conclusion that his were probably among them, but I still keep hoping that I just might find something.
Many thanks for any info.
Follie
Follie

Re: Was he a WW1 prisoner

Postby Sylcec » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:26 pm

I had been under the impression that a soldiers army records were combined when he had a 2nd period of service, but obviously not - or certainly not in this case. I see from his surviving service record that he joined up in 1896 and was discharged after completion of his period of service in 1909. His marriage to Elizabeth Jones on 2 Oct 1905 is also recorded. His army no. was 5374 and as you say, he was in the Nth Lancs Regt.

It is reasonable to think that when he joined up again for service in WWI that he would have rejoined his old regiment, though am not sure if this would necessarily have happened. Ancestry have several WWI Medal Index Cards for the name "Robert G Fraser" - but only one of these is for a man in the Nth Lancs Regt, rank Private, Regimental no: 3875. This man was awarded the 1914-15 star as well as the Victory & British War Medals. He was in France 29 Nov 1914.

You might do better to post your query to the Great War Forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
Sylcec

Postby Follie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Many thanks for the information. I didn't know his army Number. I will also try the Great War Forum as you suggested.
Thanks again.
Follie

Postby Millst » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Try http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk. This site states that my grandfather was a Special Reserve in WW1. We knew that he joined the Royal Engineers in about 1909-10 for training as an Officer of the Special Reserve and was called up in 1914 but I have not found it mentioned anywhere else.
Millst

Postby Follie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 am

Thank you for that. I will have a look.
Follie

Return to Military help