Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Mapping

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Family Tree Mapping

Postby BrianC48 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 pm

In the December issue the article on Map Your Family Tree assumes that you have mapping software on your computer. My software does not have this, could somebody let me know what mapping I should use and can I load a GEDCOM file into it so I can achieve "Mapping My Ancestors Movements"

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian C
BrianC48

Re: Family Tree Mapping

Postby Editor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Brian, what software do you use on your computer to store your family tree?

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby BrianC48 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Sarah

Thank you for your reply, I am using Family Historian 5 Version 5.09. After using the restricted persons version that came with my WDYTYA magazine about a year ago, and I have been using it on an ad hoc basis until I bought the unrestricted software version in May 2013.

Hope this helps you in advising me what to do next.

Kind Regards

Brian
BrianC48

Postby Editor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Brian,

The basic tips for organising your places database apply to Family Historian as much as Family Tree Maker (i.e. naming places correctly etc). Family Historian splits address into parts (5 are set up by default). Typically you will need four parts: street name (followed by number if available); town/city; county; country).

If you then want to view those places on a map you can install plug-ins for Family Historian that adds this functionality. Select Tools > Plugins and click the Plugin Store button (or go to http://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore) to access them. There's one prominently displayed on the main page - Map Life Events, which can be used with another (http://www.family-historian.co.uk/plugi ... try?id=159) to allow Family Historian to support geocodes for place entries. I'm sure there are other mapping tools on there too. Just click the Download button, opt to open the file if prompted (or double-click it after downloading it) and Family Historian will detect it and install it automatically. Once in place, just select an individual and run the desired plugin from the Tools > Plugins menu.

Hope this helps!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby BrianC48 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Sarah

Thank you for your reply.

I will look at the Plugins you mentioned and try them out tomorrow, and if they are like all the other features in Family Historian 5 this will enhance the software.

Using Family Historian for me has been an excellent way of discovering and understanding how Repositories, Sources and Facts all tie together giving the evidence required to prove facts included within my family tree. The software is easy to use and when I first started using it the help provided by the user forum is both friendly and first class.

Brian
BrianC48

Postby Editor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm glad it's been useful for you. Good luck with the plugins!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Postby JJ2012 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi

Would it possible to see a digital copy of this article as I am away for the Christmas/New Year ans do not have the December magazine with me and have not read it yet!

Thanks

Julie
JJ2012

Postby Editor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi Julie, sorry (again) for not replying sooner. Did you get to see the feature in the end?

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat