Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Soldier info and help needed

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Soldier info and help needed

Postby ww1 gloucesters » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can help me find out which hospital my great grandfather Charles Henry Collins would have gone to in 1915. He was on the front line with the 1st btn Gloucesters at the time he was injured. I believe that it could be possible they were in billets and not on the front line according to the date i have...27th April he said he was wounded.
War Diary extract...
On 22nd April the battalion was withdrawn into Brigade reserve being billeted at Richebourg St Vaast and Le Touret. On 24th April they were pulled back further, to Hinges, where they began a training programme, not returning to the front line until 8th May.

Would he have gone to a hospital in France or been sent back to the UK?? He was listed as wounded in 2 local papers in the UK.
On 8th July 1915 he disappeared without a trace and i would love to try and find out what happened to him.

Apparently he was Court Marshalled but i cannot find any info to tell me, firstly when this was, and secondly if he actually attended the court marshall or if it was done in his absence
Any help would be very much appreciated to solve the mystery.

He was a lance corporal, army no 0283

Many thanks
ww1 gloucesters

Re: WW1 Soldier info and help needed

Postby ColinB » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi all ,

I started trying to answer this on General Research and didn't realise it had been duplicated. Apart from locating the Medal card , I didn't get very far !

Colin
ColinB

Re: WW1 Soldier info and help needed

Postby jackiew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:43 am

there is a website dedicated to the Glosters

not allowed to post website address as a new poster!!

try 'soldiers of gloucestershire' as a search term

they have a database of WW1 soldiers and it shows your Charles COLLINS as a L/Corporal having deserted

there is a link if you would like them to do further research

Jackie :-)
jackiew

Return to Military help