Moderator Control Panel ]

uniform identification and date??

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

uniform identification and date??

Postby meekhcs » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Hello

Can anybody identify and date the uniform from the attached photo please?

I found it amongst some family photos today but have no idea who it is.

Many thanks Sally
Attachments
army uniform 001.jpg
army uniform 001.jpg (179.12 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
meekhcs

Re: uniform identification and date??

Postby Editor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:10 pm

What a great photo Sally! My first thought was Royal Horse Artillery but looking online they seem to have a red collar and his collar looks the same colour as the jacket. Still it might be worth having a look at their website or other cavalry divisions. Can anyone else help Sally with this?

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Sylcec » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 am

Could it be a Hussars uniform? Even if it is, there is nothing to show which one - the absence of a cap badge is a major problem for identification.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks Sarah and Sylvia. I am sure it is a family member because of the strong resemblance, but maybe a cousin. I will scour all the online records to see what i can find.

Posted on the off chance that another member may have a family member in the same uniform.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 am

I have posted the photo on a couple of War Forums and the general consensus is that it is the uniform of a gunner in The Royal Horse Artillery. The experts seem to think that in the old photos the red collar is not distinguishable, and the uniform appears all the same colour.

My next problem is to try and discover who this young man is but I think lack of records is going to hamper my search. However I think it is a young photo of Albert Edward Jopling, born 1888 in Southampton, Hampshire, who in 1915 joined the 2nd Battalion, City of London Regiment, Royal Fusiliers and who died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. I think perhaps he enlisted originally with The RHA, but how and why he ended up in the Royal Fusiliers I have no idea as I cannot find any service records for him.

In 1911 he is a bank clerk in Croydon Surrey and is lodging with the Hart Family.

Incidentally the photo I posted at the beginning of the thread is in postcard form and I have just noted in the box where you would put the stamp are the following numbers written thus 1.4.12 so I wonder if this is the date of the photo.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:41 pm

It would appear I am wrong in assuming this is a young photo of Albert Edward Jopling.

My husband had a look at the photo and said "surely that is great Uncle Tom?"

Comparison with Tom's wedding photo confirmed his thoughts - a dead spit.

I hadn't even considered Tom because my husband's Grandfather and Gt Uncles were all Naval men!!

Tom Victor Jopling,born 1892 Southampton, spent all his adult life, as far as we know,sailing with the British or American Merchant Navy. He died in 1918 when his ship was hit by a torpedo in the Bristol Channel.

So why he was in an army uniform I have no idea and I think this is one mystery that will remain unsolved!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby g w aldous » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:59 pm

don't suppose he was a member of a band,
the only other thing is royal marines but he has no badges anywhere.
g w aldous

Postby meekhcs » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Not as far as I know. Poor man was only 26 when he died so barely time to do anything.
We do have one or two family members who joined up and were then quickly discharged or resigned. I suspect this may have happened here but his records haven't survived.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:54 pm

To bring this post up to date.........
I have investigated further, and whilst I haven't found any records to prove my theory, I have discovered the following:-
In 1908 the Royal Horse Artillery established the Territorial Force. The TF consisted of 14 infantry divisions and 14 mounted yeomanary brigades. Each brigade included a horse artillery battery and an ammunition column. In 1909 The Hampshire RHA(TF) was raised.the battery HQ and the Hampshire Battery was based in Southampton and the ammunition column at Basingstoke. The TF was meant to be a Home Defence force and members could not be compelled to serve overseas.

I am sure the photo is of my husband's gt uncle Tom Victor Jopling. According to the date on the photo he was a member of the RHA in 1912 when he would have been 20, and still studying. He lived in Southampton and like his two older brothers he trained as a marine engineer and joined the Merchant Navy after qualifying. I think he was probably recruited to the TF from his college as a cadet, very like the system that still exists today in some schools/colleges.

If anyone out there has any info on the RHA Hampshire Battery I would love to hear from you. I am sure there will be info at Southampton Record Offices or the Local Library but I am unable to get to Southampton at the moment.

Thanks Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 am

Minor point Sally - it was of course the War Office who established the Territorial Force, not just the RHA. I'm sure that's what you meant. ...

You're right about it being a Home Defence force originally. It was only later on that they asked Territorials if they would be prepared to serve overseas - those who agreed where given a small badge referred to as the Imperial Service Obligation badge (I hope) and I think it can be seen in some photos over a breast pocket.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Military help