Moderator Control Panel ]

Brickwall - Miriam Godin and Daniel Brookman

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brickwall - Miriam Godin and Daniel Brookman

Postby tessacate » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi there

I have hit a brickwall with my 4xgreat grandparents Miriam Godin and Daniel Brookman.
I have plenty of info post-marriage but despite untold hours of research, I have been unable to find any record for Miriam Godin or Daniel Brookman before their marriage. I would dearly love to find their baptism or other records to move back another generation.

Based on census records Miriam was born about 1796. Based on his burial record, Daniel was born about 1783.

They were married at St Mary the Virgin in Stanwell (on the Surrey-Middlesex border) on 3 Feb 1811. According to the parish marriage register, Daniel was also living in Stanwell when they married. He was a labourer.

They lived in nearby Harmondsworth, Middlesex where Daniel became a publican and victualler at the Five Bells pub. They raised 7 children there.

Daniel died in December 1834 aged 51 and was buried at Harmondsworth.

Miriam became the publican and later married Henry Fouthrop at Isleworth, Brentford, Middlesex on 9 Dec 1840. (I haven’t been able to find any info about Henry Fouthrop either before or after their marriage.)

Miriam died in 1844 and her death was registered at Staines, Middlesex.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. :)
tessacate

Re: Brickwall - Miriam Godin and Daniel Brookman

Postby sdup26 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

If Miriam was born about 1796, as listed on the 1841 census, and married Daniel in 1811, she would have been 15 on marriage. Possible, but a bit unlikely, and it's far more likely that as ages were rounded down in 1841, she was older. I tried searching England and Wales Christening Records for just 'Miriam' born about 1790 +/- 2 years, and a few Miriams came up, but there was only one with a surname that could be confused with Godin, so her entry may be worth considering. Miriam Godwin, christened 24/7/1791 in Latton, Wiltshire, father Robert and Mother Mary.
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 pm

sdup26 wrote: entry may be worth considering. Miriam Godwin, christened 24/7/1791 in Latton, Wiltshire, father Robert and Mother Mary.

Death, Dec 1844 Staines vol 3 page 263
Fouthrop, Miram

Miriam (Miram) was buried at Harmondsworth, 21 August 1844.
Age 53, abode Harmondsworth.
That puts her possible birth year back to circa 1791
Burial year erroneously indexed as 1845 on ancestry
Odd that the burial is in August, but the apparent death registration is in the December quarter.

Burials at Harmondsworth include -
Mary Goddin, buried 5 June 1835, age 72
Robert Godding, buried 7 February 1847, age 84
So, an interesting suggestion by sdup.

Crucial document would be Miriam's marriage certificate from 1840, naming her father.
Dec 1840 Brentford vol 3 page 21
Brookman, Miriam
Fouthrop, Henry
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Just a tiny fragment to spur you on, but I have a Godin / Goddins / Godwin confusion in my family tree in the late 1700s / early 1800s. Mine is in Herefordshire, so I doubt there's a connection with yours, but possibly a footnote to bear in mind. Being a name on the female side of my family, it may well explain why my 2x great-grandfather had 'Godwin' as a middle name.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby tessacate » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 am

Many, many thanks for your efforts and suggestions re my brickwall. I can confirm that Miriam's father's name was Robert Godin on her second marriage certificate. So I think the Latton, Wiltshire baptism is a very real possibility. Thank you again for taking the time to look at my brickwall and for your assistance. It is very much appreciated.
Regards
Therese
tessacate

Postby tessacate » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:41 am

IanBee said "Odd that the burial is in August, but the apparent death registration is in the December quarter."

I forgot to mention that her death certificate was signed by the Coroner so she appears to have died suddenly and unexpectedly and I think that would account for the delay between her dying in August and the death not being registered in November 1844.

Cheers
Therese
tessacate

Return to General research queries