Moderator Control Panel ]

Dad's uniform - what is i?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dad's uniform - what is i?

Postby tessacate » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am

I would be grateful for any help in identifying the uniform my father is wearing in this photo. He was in the Irish Free State Army during WW2 (the Irish Emergency) and then joined the British Army in 1948 and was posted to Malaya in 1949. I don't know which uniform he is wearing. I have tried identifying the hat badge but couldn’t find anything matching it in either the Irish or British armies. Any assistance would be appreciated particularly regarding the hat badge. :?:
Attachments
Dad-in-army-uniform-for-for.jpg
Dad-in-army-uniform-for-for.jpg (254.34 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
tessacate

Re: Dad's uniform - what is i?

Postby g w aldous » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

he is wearing tropical uniform, shirt & trousers in a denim material. he has a gs beret, white 39 pattern belt & gaiters. he has a band on his right arm with RP on it Regimental Police a truncheon hanging from belt & a Lee Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine on his left shoulder. I have not seen a capbadge like that before but the colours on these photos can change over the years, to me it looks like it could be the Irish tricolour behind or instead of a capbadge hope this helps do you know what regt he served in the british army.
g w aldous

Re: Dad's uniform - what is i?

Postby tessacate » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 am

A very belated thank you for your assistance which was very helpful.

He was in the 26 (Artillery) Field Regiment in Malaya. He was a "one star gunner".

tessacate
tessacate

Return to Photo identification