Moderator Control Panel ]

Harry Atherton

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Harry Atherton

Postby Dene Fisher » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm new to researching Millitary records and I'm trying to find out anything I can about the Millitary Sercice of my Great Uncle Harry Atherton.
Uncle Harry was my Grandmothers brother and always lived with her and their sister, my Grandfather died before I was born so Uncle Harry almost took his place during my youth.
Harry was born in Wilsmlow,Cheshire on 3rd March 1900 and died in Chorley,Lancahire in February 1989, he never married. The Atherton family moved from Wilmslow to Chorley sometime between the 1901 & 1911 censuses.
All my father knows about Uncle Harry's millitary service is that he was called up just before the end of WW1 in 1918 and possibly served in India and Ireland. No records have survived in the family and what was thought to be Harry's medal turned out to be a Victory Medal presented to someone completely different.
The only thing I have been able to find is a record on Ancestry for a Pte Harry Atherton in the R Lancs Regiment, no 24067 that gives a Roll Number of H/2/103B10 pg no 1426 against Victory and British although I'm not sure exactly what this means.
Any help would be gratefully recieved
Thanks in advance
Dene
Dene Fisher

Re: Harry Atherton

Postby junkers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm

It is likely that his file is held by the Ministry of Defence in Glasgow (unless he was an officer, in which case the file may be at The National Archives, Kew in series WO 339 and WO 374) as he served after 1920 and the references to Ireland suggest that he is caught amongst the records of the 'Inter-War years'. You could ask the MOD for a copy of the file but it costs around £30, even if they can't find the file. The roll number is likely to be the page of the volume stating which medals were awarded.
junkers

Return to Military help