Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Field Artillery or Horse Artillery Uniform?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Field Artillery or Horse Artillery Uniform?

Postby beartalbot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 am

My Grandfather Walter Talbot from West Bromwich enlisted in 1915 at West Bromwich. His service records are a mystery from that date. On his return to England after the WW1, Walter and his wife Annie Giles emigrated to Australia to take up farming, where he had a team of horses. As he was a quiet reserved man, he rarely spoke of his service during the Great War, other than to my father, detailing his involvement with horses moving artillery to the front lines. This makes me think that he may have been a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery. On searching his possessions following his passing, no record of service or medals were found. On searching Service details on Ancestry, no records appear to have survived. However, I did find a Walter Talbot in the Medals Index, listed as a Driver.
The only documents found to confirm his service were his attestation papers dated 1915, and this photo of Walter on horseback with the inscription "In France" noted on the back.
Attachments
Image (3).jpg
Image (3).jpg (225.49 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
beartalbot

Re: Royal Field Artillery or Horse Artillery Uniform?

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 am

From FMP there is a listing in the Military Medals for the Royal Artillery on the 29 August 1918 to a Lance Bombadier HW Talbolt from Barford in Warwickshire.

Before I search further could this be the right person and if so do you know what the H stands for?

Sally
meekhcs

Postby beartalbot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Sally,
I don't think the serviceman you mention is my Grandfather as his full name was Walter Talbot. He had no middle name on any BMD records, including the census.
I decided to search all possible entries in the Military Medals section of Ancestry, using the following guidelines.
Using full name Walter Talbot.
As the photo shows him wearing an ammo bandolier and spurs, I assume that he was in the RFA possibly with the rank of Driver as records show that those in the RFA had more involvement with horses.
Walter didn't enlist until 1915 - therefore he would not receive the 1914-15 Star.
Therefore I was looking for a Walter Talbot, possibly a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery.
As he wouldn't be eligible for the 1914-15 Star, the only medals he would receive would be the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
There was only one entry that matched these details, however, as I do not have Walters service number, I cannot confirm that this is him.
Details as follows:
Name: Walter Talbot Medal Roll Page
Corps: RFA Victory RFA/314 43020
Regimental No. 251454
Unfortunately, on searching British Army WW1 Service records using the Regimental No. above, no records exist. I assume that these records were destroyed in the Blitz along with most others.
I have hit a brick wall now, as I have no idea where to go next, along with the disadvantage of having to research from Australia.
I thought that someone may recognise the uniform as unfortunately when I attempt to enlarge the cap badge, the image becomes quite blurred.
I have become resigned to the fact that without a clear cap badge image, I cannot go any further due to lack of records.
Thanks, Ken.
beartalbot

Postby g w aldous » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am

my G/father was a driver in the RFA pictures I have of him are same uniform, I would say the medal role is correct. shame the service records were destroyed but I think you have found him.
g w aldous

Postby meekhcs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Are you "talbrom" on The Great War Forum? There is a lot of info on there which also concludes that 251454 is the correct person. If it is not you then I suggest you have a look as it may help.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... pic=196947 this is the link.

The National Archives have microfilms of the Burnt Records, WO 363/T333 &T334 cover the name Talbot. I don't know if these are worth looking at, I have never used them. G W Aldous may be able to advise as he is very knowledgeable on military aspects.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby jeffward » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

This photo appears to have attracted the attention of the censor both the divisional sign( on his shoulder ) and the cap badge have been obscured. But he almost certain was in the Royal Field Artillery .the RHA cap badge was much smaller than that of the RFA and they also had "ball" type buttons on their uniforms not the usual flat type. Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Postby beartalbot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks to all for your help re WW1 Military records of my Grandfather Walter Talbot. I can confidently agree that the uniform he is wearing is that of a Driver in the RFA and that the Regimental No. 251454 is the correct one. My long term hopes are to visit England after retirement to research my Grandparents life in the Black Country before emigrating to Australia. Whilst there I will visit the National Archives to search the microfilm of Burnt Records for WW1 to verify this info. Following the outbreak of WW2, my father Eric enlisted as a Driver in AIF, so Walter also decided to enlist, serving as a Craftsman in the Australian Army until 1945.
Thanks again for this wonderful website.
Ken.
beartalbot

Return to Military help