Moderator Control Panel ]

Collaboration between FMP and Family Search

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Collaboration between FMP and Family Search

Postby Sylcec » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 am

Millst - I thoroughly agree with you about Findmypast's indexing of UK Soldier's Service Records - it is unbelievably time consuming and tedious trying to ascertain which of the myriad names could relate to your man. They need to include one or more additional fields in the index. But even then, the indexers have done a very poor job as there are masses of records where no year or place of birth is indexed - yet, looking at the records I can almost always find the un-indexed info very easily.

Alos, yes, there are lots of stupid transcription errors in Ancestry's and other indexes - but I cast my mind back to the late 1960s when I first started researching - would go to the PRO in Aldwych and trawl through 1841 & 1851 census without any use of indexes at all. Indexing and availability of records for Genealogy has come a long way since then!
Sylcec

Postby junkers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:18 am

Sylcec,

It is annoying that companies and even archives don't ask researchers what information they would like before it is added, the 1901 Census being an example, an example of entering everything even if it is not needed. I think you meant the General Register Office (GRO) in the Aldwych as the PRO (Public Record Office), now The National Archives, was in Chancery Lane as well as in Kew and Islington. What is annoying is that ancestry have been adding names in indexes where it has not been created in the indexes, so that a 'B' would have a Christian name added on what ancestry think it was!. Research is easier these days but less satisfying I would say although the GRO indexes are heavy. What we do know that is that transcriptions vary between companies for the same data!.
junkers

Postby meekhcs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Interesting reading all your replies, thanks for taking the time.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 am

You are of course correct Junkers! I'm sure that I must have frequented both places around the same time and somewhere I still have the old roneo-ed guide to using the PRO.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat