Moderator Control Panel ]

Crois de Guerre

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Crois de Guerre

Postby jaytee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 pm

I have just joined the forum and am fairly new to family history. I wondered if anyone knew if there is a central register of all recipients of the crois de Guerre. My sister in law remembers a portrait of her aunt wearing the medal. Her aunt was a nurse during the Great War and nursed soldiers in France/Belgium. None of the family knows the current whereabouts of the portrait or the medal.
Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Jaytee

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
jaytee

Re: Crois de Guerre

Postby pjmartin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:35 am

Peter
pjmartin

Postby jaytee » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Many thanks but no luck so far!

jaytee

Postby ksouthall » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:55 pm

I looked online and found the following information:-

The Croix de Guerre is a French military decoration. It is only given to military personnel. In order to be a recipient of the Croix de Guerre (Cross of War), an individual must distinguish themselves by showing acts of heroism while they are involved in combat with enemy forces.

Is it possible your sister-in-law's aunt received the Croix de Guerre from her husband/fiancé or a close male relative, rather than it being awarded directly to her?
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm doing this from memory and someone who has the programme on dvd or has a better memory than me may be able to correct me or add facts. Don't I recall when JK Rowling appeared on WDYTYA she was searching for a relative she believed had been awarded the Croix du Guerre but she discovered it was actually a different, but equally deserving decoration?
phsvm

Postby junkers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I think you would need to talk to the French military archives about the Croix de Guerre, however if the person was British then it may be in their records at The National Archives, Kew. It helps us to help you if you can give us the name of your Aunt. It is also possible that the award of the medal was announced in the London Gazette which is available online.
junkers

Postby jaytee » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for all replies. They have given me food for thought. I must say that there could be something in the fact that the medal may not have been awarded to her directly. Her name was Martha Elizabeth Timson. B 1884 Wilbarston. She married James Ranson 25dec 1914. He was in the services at the time. She was later known as Iris Elizabeth. I'm not sure when she started to use the name Iris. But certainly by the time she married again in 1940 to Albert Rawson.

jaytee

Postby Editor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:30 pm

My grandfather was awarded a Croix de Guerre by the Belgians and I can't find any citation. Apparently in the heat of war they were handed out by the French and Belgians without anything like the paperwork that came with British medals. Don't quote me on that but I wouldn't count on being able to track down a citation. Also, I agree with other posters that she may have been wearing the medal as a sign of respect for a lost loved one.

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Postby clarksclerks » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:01 am

Like Sarah, my grandfather was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the King of the Belgians. It's not listed on his WW1 medal cards but there is a long list of recipients in the London Gazette of 4 September 1919, available on line.
Regards
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby helenrussell » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm not sure that it's true that the Croix de Guerre is, or was, only awarded to men. I too had a great aunt who was nursing the troops at the front in World War I and I believe she was awarded the Croix de Guerre (and Bar, my mother said). She was one of many soldiers and nursing staff who were subjected to attacks of mustard gas (twice I think) - from which she died with a few years after the war. But it may have been just the Legion d'Honneur, (for which I have the Certificate) so I could be wrong about the Croix. I will have to research it.
helenrussell

Next

Return to General research queries