Moderator Control Panel ]

Crois de Guerre

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Crois de Guerre

Postby trace » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:43 pm

There's a VAD card on the Red Cross website

Mrs Iris Elizabeth Ranson
103 North View Road
Hornsey N8

Stores Clerk at Charterhouse Military Hospital

1 Jul 1918
still working 1 Mar 1919
trace

Postby tessacate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 am

I suggest you try the London Gazette. My great uncle was awarded the Croix de Guerre during WW1 and even though he was an Australian soldier, his award was published in the London Gazette. Another uncle, also in the Australian Army, was always have thought to have received the Croix de Guerre, but when I found the official record in The Gazette it was only the French Medallie D'Honoeur, so it may be worth just searching for the name in case the medal has been confused over the years. They are all online at:

http://www.thegazette.co.uk/

It is easy to search although I suggest you search via "surname Croix de Guerre" initially. This will reduce the number of hits (there are 420 lists of Croix de Guerre recipients in The London Gazette). Your ancestor is likely to be among them.

Good luck and regards
Tessacate :)
tessacate

Postby adrianwander » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:56 am

There is a book called "Honour the Recipients of Foreign Awards" which covers all awards to U.K. Personal from 1914 through to the 1960's. It is expensive but you should be able to get hold of a copy via the library. Similar volumes cover gallantry awards to army, airforce and navy as well as MiD's.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
adrianwander

Previous

Return to General research queries