Moderator Control Panel ]

army pic help please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

army pic help please

Postby rachelh881 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 pm

can anyone recognise this army uniform from WW1 please?
Attachments
Georges_Left,_Blanche_& small.jpg
Georges_Left,_Blanche_& small.jpg (168.09 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
rachelh881

Re: army pic help please

Postby Editor » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 am

I'm afraid I can't help with the uniform (although I know there are plenty of people on this forum who can and who will hopefully chip in) but I did notice that one of the soldier's buttons is black. This was a sign of respect/remembrance usually for a close family member (perhaps a brother?) who had died during the conflict. It was usually a bit of crepe material wrapped around the button.

Regards

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby markvent » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:12 am

:? not a lot of info to go on - basically the shape of the cap-badge - it looks like an Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders badge but I might well be way out with that.

Mark.
markvent

Postby g w aldous » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 pm

I don't think its A&SH it's too small, I do notice he is wearing a lanyard on his left shoulder. Few units wore these they either had something to do with animals or artillery mostly the signals also wore them but it don't look like a signals CB. it also don't look like an artillery CB so it leaves a number of possibles to do with animals. Transport, vets etc.
I'm wondering if it is a royal engineers CB as it is the right shape and they were silver.
g w aldous

Postby rachelh881 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:35 pm

g w aldous wrote:I don't think its A&SH it's too small, I do notice he is wearing a lanyard on his left shoulder. Few units wore these they either had something to do with animals or artillery mostly the signals also wore them but it don't look like a signals CB. it also don't look like an artillery CB so it leaves a number of possibles to do with animals. Transport, vets etc.
I'm wondering if it is a royal engineers CB as it is the right shape and they were silver.

ohhh thanks, Royal Engineers would fit with later life, my ancestor was the man in Civvies, his best man was from the same regiment, and this is a wedding photo. Georges was French born to a British Father, but served in a British unit. His Father ran a garage in Paris.
rachelh881

Postby Millst » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I've just looked at the photo of my grandfather from 1914-18 war. He was in the Royal Engineers but his cap badge is definitely a round shape. There could be a narrow something sticking up at the top but the cap itself looks a completely different shape with a much wider band between the peak and the top.
Millst

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Millst wrote:the cap itself looks a completely different shape with a much wider band between the peak and the top

Oh there are all sorts of cap! It doesn't help us to recognise them when the guys take the stiffening wire out, as many did.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification