Moderator Control Panel ]

Union Jack flag

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Union Jack flag

Postby Georgia3170 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:28 pm

I have been given what appears to be a small Union Jack flag. It has a white border and on each side are the words 'Be Prepared' 'Defence Not Defiance' 'Our King & Country' and finally on the fourth side 'Faithful to the flag'. The 'flag' was wrapped around my Dad's Naval Medals from WW2, which doesn't make sense. Does anyone know anything about this as I really have no idea where to look for information.
Many thanks
Georgia
Georgia3170

Re: Union Jack flag

Postby ColinB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Is it like this ? -
http://www.jeffbridgman.com/inventory/i ... out&id=942

This site says the 'flags' date from WW1. Another site I found suggests it's a handkerchief.

Colin
ColinB

Postby phsvm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 pm

There's no such thing as a 'Union Jack Flag'. You either mean a Union Flag or a Union Jack.

A Union Flag is what is flown to represent the countries that make up the United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

A Union Jack is the Union Flag flown by Royal Navy ships.
phsvm

Postby Georgia3170 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks Colin,
I checked out the website and the picture is exactly the same as my flag/kerchief. I now know that this belonged to my Dad's father who was in the Middlesex regiment in WW1. Fantastic news and so grateful for your help.
Georgia
Georgia3170

Re: Silk Union Hankerchief

Postby Georgia3170 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am

Now I know my flag is in fact a silk hankerchief from WW1 I have searched on line for any information about it, to no avail. Does anyone know the reason why my grandfather would have one, and would he have taken it with him to the front line? This has opened up so many exciting questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Georgia
Georgia3170

Postby ritah » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Hello Georgia

What a lovely thing to have! A certain internet auction site has some similar items to yours although not exactly the same. There are references to 'sweetheart' 'mum and dad' etc so these items were probably bought by soldiers as souvenirs to take home to girlfriends or family.

Rita
ritah

Return to Military help