Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA tests

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

DNA tests

Postby MysticDave » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I recently had my male line DNA checked and I came up as bog standard Celtic, meaning my ancestors must have done the Spain route and then set up shop in mid Staffs. I wasn't so concerned about the female DNA as female lines disappear quite early and so, you cannot really know where the female line set up home in the UK. I might have the female line done as I suspect my mother's line may be Jutish or similar.

Consequently, I did wonder why no-one has had this done - maybe a UKIP MP called Farage going on about "immigrants"? :lol:
MysticDave

Re: DNA tests

Postby Sylcec » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 am

Not quite sure what you mean here Dave by saying you wonder why no-one else has had this done. Lots and lots of people have had DNA tests done for genealogical purposes.
Also not sure what you mean about "female lines disappear quite early" - it is quite clear that for a man it is possible to trace his Y-DNA back many generations. He can also get a mitochondrial DNA test done for the female line and this is the only direct line test open to women. I don't know which company you used, but the one I used also provides a "Family Finder" autosomal DNA test which will provide family links back for a few generations in either gender. Of course - you are only going to get possible matches with people who have had their testing done through the same test company!!
Sylcec

Postby Millst » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm

I have just checked on the Richard III Society website and, as I thought, the DNA tests carried out to find a descendant of Richard III were down the female line.
Millst

Postby ColleenT » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:13 pm

This was because they had no male descendant to test. They were testing a female descendant of Richard's sister.
ColleenT

Postby MysticDave » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Sylec,

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I actually meant the celebs in the programmes. We just get one interesting line, but no indication of their general make-up. I had always thought of myself as having a decent lump of Anglo-Saxon in me, but it seems there is actually none. That surprised me as Staffordshire was one of those areas, where AS control was pretty strong and it raises this old question about the extent to which the UK population is actually AS as opposed to Celtic.

Thanks to 3xgreat-granny from Dublin, i see I have a bit of Viking in me too.
MysticDave

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat