Moderator Control Panel ]

October issue late in Australia?

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

October issue late in Australia?

Postby clarksclerks » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:06 am

Have any Australian subscribers received the October issue yet? I normally get each issue around the 16th of the month but today is the 26th and still no sign of it. I know my subscription must be nearly due for renewal but I assume I will get a reminder notice?

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Re: October issue late in Australia?

Postby Sylcec » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi Eileen - I received mine a couple of weeks ago.

The only time I had a problem with non-receipt was when my subscription was renewed and the staff in that department had actually failed to renew it (despite receiving the dough a couple of months previously.) Suggest you send Jon a pleading email - he may be able to fix you up. :)
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby familysleuth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:19 am

Hi Eileen - I am sorry, I can't answer your question, but - in the light of my previous posts (and sorry to sound like a broken record!) WDYTYA magazine subscription service is most confusing. Sadly, I am quite frustrated with it - but I would like to persevere because the magazine itsself is really informative. It seems incredible that in a world which is global and 'online' WDYTYA can't organise a subscription service with explicit information about payment methods for Australia. :(

I never received any official feedback on my previous posts (although I value the other readers comments! thanks!). The comment about 'offer for Australia' in the letters to the Editor and the direct debit offer in the June issue gave me the impression I could get a subscription this way. I sent the coupon with my bank details and address - and after contacting customer services have found out that the letter cannot be traced. This means that my personal info is out there somewhere in hard copy..... a very worrying situation for security! I suspect that that coupon had a return address which was valid only for a limited time because of the offer. this meant that although the June issue was the very latest issue I could access in Australia, the coupon was out of date when I sent it. I wish that the information had been very clear on this point. Incidentally, the coupon also had a section for overseas subscriptions by credit card, but from memory, the same address to send it to.

So - where does this leave me? Replying to customer services with the request that I be given clear information how to get a subscription to australia and the correct address to send it - although I would prefer an e mail address because this is more secure. Incidentally, about 12 months ago I contacted customer services with the same query and never received a reply, which is why I have chosen the magazine forum to ask, hoping that the moderator would give me the information. I have found accessing the apprentiseship records of my 4 X great grandfather, John Pope, a Peruke-maker in London in 1780 easier than getting a subscription :lol:
familysleuth

Postby familysleuth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 am

... more on this! Sylvia, I e mailed Jon asking for information about my subscription request and did not receive a reply. I assumed that his job was not to follow up admin type requests, so I am in contact with customer services. I have hopes that I will eventually get a subscription which can be renewed too! ;)
familysleuth

Postby clarksclerks » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks Sylvia, I'll send off an enquiry, although in the light of 'Familysleuth's experiences I am not too hopeful.

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby clarksclerks » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 pm

I have now had a reply to my query. Apparently my subscription has expired but the company does not appear to send out reminder notices, so subscribers have to remember from year to year when their subscription is due!

I must say I am TOTALLY DISGUSTED with the way this company manages overseas subscriptions. At the very least they could send an email reminder. Furthermore, there is no secure on line payment system where I could use a credit card and where a debit could be done automatically, like Ancestry etc. use. So I am left with the option of waiting until I can get to the bank and then waiting until they can get a sterling cheque for me to put in the snail mail (a long slow process) or making an expensive overseas telephone call some time tonight.

Not happy! :(

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 am

Hello there,

Firstly, I'm really sorry Louise/FamilySleuth for not getting back to your message sent on 16 September. It's been sitting in my forum inbox and didn't quite realise how long I'd left it. I will do my best to make sure this doesn't happen again.

With regards to setting up an Australian subscription it sounds like you're all having a difficult time, for which I also apologise. All these queries are dealt with by a separate team and we unfortunately cannot access people's details from the editorial office. It would make our lives a lot easier if we could!

Therefore, all written correspondence about subscriptions will go straight them, not us. As I think Ritah said on a different thread, you can also contact them by emailing wdytya@servicehelpline.co.uk or phoning their landline on +44 01795 414697.

It's really handy for us to hear about these problems, so thanks for letting us know in more detail. I will pass on your comments to our marketing manager, Georgina, so she can see what is going wrong and look at how we can make the process easier for Australian readers. Do feel free to send me direct messages via email to jon [dot] bauckham [at] immediate.co.uk if you would like to discuss this further.

Kind regards,
Jon

p.s. Eileen/clarksclerks - I'm about to send you a private message regarding your situation
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby clarksclerks » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi everyone

After a week of utter frustration, heated emails and an overseas phone call, I have finally been able to renew my subscription but will miss one issue unless I can find it at the newsagent's. 'They' claim that they did send out a renewal notice (never received). Likewise hidden away at the bottom of one page there is a link to an on line renewal facility that will accept credit cards. However, it did not accept my Australian postcode as valid. This gave me a nasty case of deja vu so I checked my emails from last year and found I had had the same problem then. After another exchange of emails 'they' fixed something so now I have been able to renew, but I am not confident the problem has been solved for other people.

I'd urge any overseas subscribers who have problems renewing to let Jon know about it.

Kind regards
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby Sylcec » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 am

Eileen - you describe the same problem to that which I have experienced. The renewal notice comes out about 3 months before one's sub expires. However, even promptly snail mailing a renewal authority and getting it receipted, doesn't guarantee an uninterrupted subscription. Frankly, I think the staff in the overseas subs department are just incompetent or very laissez faire in their attitude to work. The non-acceptance of an overseas post code in the on-line renewal form is ridiculous in this day and age.

WDYTYA is a great family history mag, its a shame that it has to get a bad name because of what is a poor staff culture in one department.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Magazine chat