Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Royal Garrison Artillery

Postby norman nicolson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 pm

I have found a photograph of what I think is my Aunt Helen Clark when she married Harry Rigden in 1915. He has a shoulder badge RGA and the rank of a Staff Sergent. He also has an odd Artillery badge above his Chevrons. I cannot find any record of him in the Army. He came from Whitstable , born around 1888-91. I have a copy on file and can Email it if needed. There does not seem to be any facility to do this on this message
norman nicolson

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery

Postby ColinB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm

There is a tab ' Upload Attachment ' below the message panel , next to the ' Options ' tab.

I cannot find a Sgt Harry ( or Henry / Harold ) Rigden who served in the RGA or RFA on Ancestry or TNA. There are several possible Rigdens born in Whitstable at about the right time but I have only managed to identify one in the military records who served in the Buffs and was killed in 1917.
If the couple married in 1915 while Harry was a serving soldier the marriage certificate should state that he was a soldier in the RGA and may give his service number so it would be worth getting a copy.

Colin
ColinB

Postby norman nicolson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:09 am

I enclose a photo of my Uncle Harry, what does the badge above the chevrons indicate, it is not a normal
RA one. It may need enlarging ,I had decrease it to make it fit.
Attachments
Image0002 (566x800).jpg
I have tried to enlarge this after I reduced it , but no go
Image0002 (566x800).jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
norman nicolson

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:41 pm

So far as I can see from my books, that looks a pretty normal Artillery arm badge. The arm badge for the RA is not the same as the cap badge - it actually points in the opposite direction for starters!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby g w aldous » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 pm

he was a staff sgt in the RGA the cannons are sided reason being the the guns ALWAYS face the front.
it's safer that way ;) if your in the arty if not we always hoped they got the range right :shock: ..
g w aldous

Return to Photo identification