Moderator Control Panel ]

WW2 - British Empire Medal help (and London advice)...

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW2 - British Empire Medal help (and London advice)...

Postby Seagullsim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:04 am

Hi

Hope someone can help. I've been trying to find out some more information about my Granddad's wartime experiences, and am particularly interested in why he was awarded the British Empire medal in 1946. I've found out that he was a sergeant in the Royal Engineers, and the award of the medal is mentioned in the London Gazette on 1st Jan 1946.

His full name was Robert William Allsop - my mum believes he used to work for the Post Office in London before and after the war. His Service Number was 1927691.

I'm actually in London next week for work, and may have some spare time. Is there anywhere I can visit in the London area that may be able to help me with my research? Someone mentioned that the Royal Engineers have a museum out in Kent, but i've emailed them and they don't keep any war records on-site.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Seagullsim

Re: WW2 - British Empire Medal help (and London advice)...

Postby ritah » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm

You could try contacting the National Archives in Kew. Have a look at their website to check on times of opening, what you need to take with you etc.
Good luck.
Rita
ritah

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 pm

The records at The National Archives (TNA)at Kew in series T 305 of the Treasury Ceremonial Branch might have some information, you will need a reader's ticket as they are original documents, but TNA are closed on Mondays. If you go to ancestry they have copies of the Appointment Books, but you will need to look under "Occupations" on the front page of the website.
junkers

Postby Seagullsim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks all.

I've found out one more bit of info - he served in the 3 Brit Inf Div Postal Unit. I'll give Kew a try...
Seagullsim

Postby dipdens » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Have you got his WWII service records? Next of kin can apply, it may take up to a year to get them.
Have a look at the MOD website.

We got my father in law's records, they were very interesting and informative.

Best of luck.
dipdens

Return to Military help