Moderator Control Panel ]

What year? Bather/Robertson/McKenzie

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

What year? Bather/Robertson/McKenzie

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Do you know what year this photograph was taken? I am trying to identify the two children on the right of the photograph. All of the family lived in Scotland. From the left is my great aunt Ethel Robertson born 1881, she married John Moyes in 1907, she was said to have had three boys so I assume the girl is not hers. Next is her mother, my great grandmother Eliza Bather/Robertson/McKenzie, born 1854, died 1925. Then next is Eliza's second husband Alexander McKenzie who she married in 1903. Can anyone guess the ages of the people on the photograph or are you related to any of them?

Thank you in anticipation of any help you can offer.

Grandma Jedi
Attachments
Image1-4_edited-7.jpg
Image1-4_edited-7.jpg (131.88 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Grandma Jedi

Re: What year? Bather/Robertson/McKenzie

Postby Editor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm afraid I can't date the photograph, although it doesn't look much after 1903 to me. However, looking at the composition, I would say that the children are connected to the second husband McKenzie. Did he have children from a previous marriage?

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank you for that help Sarah.

Looking at the photograph I can see how the children seem to belong to Alexander.

Eliza married Alexander McKenzie, who was a widower, in 1903. He had a son called Alexander who would have been aged 8 in 1903 so this was possibly his son. On the 1901 census Alexander only had one young child who was that son but he may have had a daughter who was elsewhere on the night of the census.

I will keep searching!

Kind regards
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby Lindsay » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi there, I understand how you mean about the boy being about age 8, but I think everyone is missing the big clue in the picture. My first thought was Wright brothers first flight about 1911, but I thought that was a biplane [ie a double set of wings], so I investigated that and although they did fly a glider in 1904 it did not have a propeller. I googled monplanes and looked at early pictures, and I think I have the answer. In 1909 Bleriot flew a monoplane from Calais to Dover, it had the same support wires above the wings,same propeller, and same trellis type fusilage as your picture, so I think this was a case of a photographer creating a topical novelty to sell pictures in 1909.
Lindsay

Postby Grandma Jedi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Wow Lindsay, what marvellous research! I totally agree with your conclusion. It has also taught me a good lesson as to how to conduct research into a subject. Thank you so much.

Kind regards

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Return to Photo identification