Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah Millican's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Sarah Millican's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Hello folks,

Tonight we reach the eighth episode of the series, starring the delightful Sarah Millican.

I won't give too much away, but the programme takes the comedian a very long way from South Shields...

Once the episode has aired (9pm, BBC One), please share your thoughts below. We might even use one of them in tomorrow's email newsletter!

All the best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Sarah Millican's episode

Postby phsvm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Am I the only one to think that the scheduling for this evening is ridiculous? Competing with WDYTYA? on BBC 2 this evening is the one-off drama "The Wipers Times" about the newspaper produced by soldiers in the trenches in WW1.

I would have thought that anyone with any sense would realise that those who are interested in genealogy ie - WDYTYA?'s target audience - may well be the viewers who would be interested in a drama about the First World War (especially as it's based on fact).

Sorry, WDYTYA? but I'll be tuning to BBC2 at 9.00 this evening.
phsvm

Postby isobelc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Just noticed that tonight's episode is not scheduled at all on BBC Scotland. We are getting last night's New Tricks which was displaced by the Scotland football game. Not a happy bunny!
Isobel
isobelc

Postby phsvm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Don't get me started on programmes being moved for football or other 'local' interest programmes!

I had a huge argument with the BBC because they seemed to think that living in Oxford (you can't get much further from the sea) we'd be intersted in the workings of our 'local' port - Southampton - instead of A Question of Sport.

At least you should be able to catch tonight's WDYTYA? when it's repeated after the 10.00 news next week.
phsvm

Postby ritah » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 pm

For the benefit of those who missed it this was a good episode in my opinion. Sarah Millican threw herself completely into the lives of her ancestors and was justly proud of them. Excellent.

Rita
ritah

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 pm

I thought this was a good episode, especially about the Hudson's Bay Company (there are microfilm copies of their records in The National Archives in Kew as series BH 1). My heart did sink when another genealogy tree was produced at the start, pretty boring in my view, I like people wherever possible to have done some research themselves or are we a minority?.
junkers

Postby Jeeps » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:59 pm

This was one of my all time favourites and certainly the best of this series imho.

Although I do like to see the proper lines of research it didn't bother me that pre-made trees were produced, probably because the two men whose lives were the basis of her search were so interesting and admirable. She was fortunate there was so much anecdotal evidence available that built up the personalities of the men.

Sarah made an excellent subject and certainly showed some bottle in following in the footsteps of both her ancestors. A great programme.

If you are reading, BBC, another one here who was not happy that the programme was moved to 10.35.
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby lottie's mum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 pm

As a family that never watches anything live (except my husband watching football!), I have to confess that I have yet to catch up, but am making progress as I'm now only 1 behind - thank goodness for modern technology otherwise I'd never get to see anything. Looking forward to watching this one as soon as I can find an hour!
lottie's mum

Postby Millst » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:37 pm

phsvm wrote:Am I the only one to think that the scheduling for this evening is ridiculous? Competing with WDYTYA? on BBC 2 this evening is the one-off drama "The Wipers Times" about the newspaper produced by soldiers in the trenches in WW1.

I would have thought that anyone with any sense would realise that those who are interested in genealogy ie - WDYTYA?'s target audience - may well be the viewers who would be interested in a drama about the First World War (especially as it's based on fact).

Sorry, WDYTYA? but I'll be tuning to BBC2 at 9.00 this evening.

Quite agree. Maddening. I watched WDYTYA which was really interesting and recorded the Wipers Times which was brilliant and probably worth watching again.
Millst

Postby phsvm » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

For anyone who did choose WDYTYA? over The Wipers Times you missed an absolutely wonderful programme. I can't recommend it enough. Try and catch it on iplayer.
phsvm

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013