Moderator Control Panel ]

Time Lines

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Time Lines

Postby lottie's mum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm more interested in the lives my ancestors lived than creating a big family tree with no meaning. My plan is to create some sort of file on individuals and include photos of houses, churches, schools etc that are relevant where these still exist to photograph. The other thing that I wish to include is a timeline to link their lives in with local/national events. Has anybody done this? Do you have any tips on how to go about this or pitfalls to avoid? I realise that this is going to be a big undertaking, especially as I often go off at a tangent, but I always find myself thinking of individuals when watching anything historical.
lottie's mum

Re: Time Lines

Postby Sylcec » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. Actually LegacyFamilytree - which is the genealogy program that I use, already does this for me. Of course, there will be more local events relevant to where you live (country and county) that you would want to include. If you just want to go it alone, without use of a genealogy program, then frankly I think you need to make your own plan - a list of the items you want to include, and how much detail to add. Then you will need to decide the format - and this may be suggested anyway by the amount of detail you want to include. Are you going to keep it on-line, or on your own PC, or mainly in hard copy? Do you want to use a basic word processing program and add or insert new material as it comes to light, or use a spreadsheet or database program? What you decide will inevitably have much to do with your own skill level and confidence.

Good luck!
Sylcec

Re: Time Lines

Postby lottie's mum » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks for that, some food for thought.

Just need some long cold winter nights now and to send my 8 year old to bed as soon as I get home from work!!
lottie's mum

Return to Genealogy chat