Moderator Control Panel ]

Nitin Ganatra's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Nitin Ganatra's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am

And now for something completely different!

Tonight, it's Nitin Ganatra's turn to trace his roots on Who Do You Think You Are? After visiting his parents in Coventry, the EastEnders postie embarks on a moving genealogical journey that leads him all the way to Kenya and India - largely without written records.

As ever, please post your thoughts on the episode below.

See you at 9pm on BBC One!

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Nitin Ganatra's episode

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm

I thought this was brilliant! Yes, it was almost a documentary, but by far the best one of the series for me. I have never known an hour go so quickly and to be able to go back such a long way in the records in India was nothing short of amazing.
All new history too, which was refreshing and informative.
KayFarndon

Postby isobelc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:04 pm

I agree this was a terrific episode. It was a real journey in more ways than one and he obviously got a huge amount from it personally.
Isobel
isobelc

Postby Jeeps » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

My favourite too! The history side of it was fascinating and he came across as such a relaxed subject.

Some of us feel despondent if we can't find ancestors on the UK Census returns. This programme highlighted just how difficult genealogy is in other countries. I wonder how close to the facts any oral history actually keeps or if it gets embellished here and there!
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby ritah » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

This was a wonderful episode, definitely the best so far. It was so good to get away from the usual 'staged' presenting of census and BMD information and to see real documents even if they were in a language I couldn't read. Nitin's family shop is in an area of Coventry I know well as I spent my childhood there too although before their arrival. I enjoyed the episode so much that I watched last night's repeat as well, its surprising what you can pick up on the second viewing. Recommended viewing!
Rita
ritah

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I liked the bit near the end when Nitin Ganatra added his son's names to the pilgrimage document and was reminded that he had visited the site as a child.
ksouthall

Postby ritah » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Has anyone read Claire Vaughan's piece on the home page on the research for this episode? It is a lesson to us all that we should never give up on our research! Worth a read.
Rita
ritah

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013