Moderator Control Panel ]

findmypast newspaper search unavailable

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

findmypast newspaper search unavailable

Postby ColinB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 am

I'm becoming really frustrated with findmypast. After weeks of almost daily " we're holding you back" or "site unavailable " messages newspaper search is now out of action . If the site is so busy it's about time they upgraded it !

Colin

It's working again - hope it lasts !
ColinB

Re: findmypast newspaper search unavailable

Postby lottie's mum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Colin

I have never been able to find any newspaper entries at Find my past for anyone that I have researched and am sure that I must be doing something wrong - they can't all be clean living! I've read the information you gave for Reddichan so as an experiment decided to search for these - again no joy even though I did put the spelling in as Ruddichan. Did you get these newspaper articles from Find my past? Any tips on how best to search.

Pauline
lottie's mum

Postby ColinB » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes I did find the articles on fmp. On this occasion , because I couldn't search the records there initially, I searched first on the BNA site ( search is free ) and saw that there were articles which might fit and then searched again on fmp when search was fixed. I only put in Ruddichan and then scanned down to the items I wanted. ( I've just rechecked and they do come up under that spelling. ) I do agree that it's often difficult to find what you want and it isn't possible to refine the search in the way you can on BNA. I get best results by not putting in too many details and and scouring the results.

Colin

And I'm being " held back " again as the site is busy tonight !
ColinB

Postby lottie's mum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks Colin
lottie's mum

Return to Genealogy chat