Moderator Control Panel ]

Nick Hewer's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Nick Hewer's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello all,

On BBC One tonight, Nick Hewer explores his roots in an episode that takes us from 1920s Ireland to an England torn apart by civil war during the 17th century.

If you cast your minds back to July, the quick-witted PR man came out top in our Facebook poll of celebs you were most looking forward to in this series. Let's hope his episode lives up to your expectations! Either way, let us know by posting in the thread below.

Best,
Jon

P.S. I'm not only finding it hard to believe that we're already halfway through Series 10, but that I have also been with Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine for a whole year (as of today!) Thanks to everyone on the forum for making it one of the best jobs around :D
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Nick Hewer's episode

Postby ColinB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Is it Wednesday already ? Thanks for the timely reminder - I'm really looking foward to this one !

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary Jon !

Colin
ColinB

Postby MysticDave » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 pm

This was a much better episode, albeit my eyes tend to roll when hearing about the Irish and their interminable squabbles. :roll: There were a couple of interesting characters, who remained at the heart of the stories concerned (plus dodgy Roger, about whom I suspect we all wanted to know more), as well as some useful guidance on the background events - Nick even managed one of his classic "I have just swallowed a lemon" looks!

I have branches reaching back into Ireland and it seems the records may be more extensive than I thought (I was under the impression that most went up in flames during the fighting in Dublin) and I also have a family on the make in Surrey, who seem to have financial problems around the time of the ECW.

Nick came across well with his laser attention to details and genuine interest, rather than faffing about and trying to project himself (Mr. Lineker).
MysticDave

Postby junkers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:05 pm

I thought this was a good episode and especially the bit on the English Civil War. Eagled-eyed viewers may have noticed that some of the documents were those of the State Paper Office which predates modern Government departments and are at The National Archives in Kew and are a valuable collection of records which can be overlooked.
junkers

Postby MysticDave » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 pm

I have been looking around the net and found the main branch of my Surrey family (although I branch off pre-ECW) - seems our head man was a Royalist official and he mentions fighting around Marlborough in Wiltshire in 1642 in one letter. However, it was quiet round his way - typically for my family, who seem to avoided every war! However, I did also turn up one direct ancestor's Will from just before the ECW, which should make interesting reading.
MysticDave

Postby usman123 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:54 am

Hello all,

On BBC One tonight, Nick Hewer explores his roots in an episode that takes us from 1920s Ireland to an England torn apart by civil war during the 17th century.

If you cast your minds back to July, the quick-witted PR man came out top in our Facebook poll of celebs you were most looking forward to in this series. Let's hope his episode lives up to your expectations! Eithe
usman123

Postby ewanarm » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am

I was one of the many looking forward most to this episode. Nick came across as genuinely interested and knowledgeable about the events surrounding his ancestor's lives. I always watch the programme with my 13 year old son, who has recently studied the Civil War in History so that perked his interest.

I have to say that about halfway through, we were all starting to get a little lost, especially when the time period jumped from 1920s Ireland to 1640s rural Wiltshire, but we soon got back on track.

As usual loving the series and it always whets my appetite for keeping my own research going.
ewanarm

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 pm

With all the past programmes I notice than family likenesses are seldom ever mentioned, so I would just like to say how like his grandfather Nick Hewer was. Such a strong resemblance.
KayFarndon

Postby eurogordi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Like Nick Hewer, I am descended from families who lived in north Wiltshire during the 17th century and who fought in the English Civil War. Nick's own Royalist ancestor, Edward Nott, is likely to have known my ancestors because they all came from within a few miles of each other and were of a similar social class. The only difference is that I have ancestors on both sides of the political divide! Captain Thomas Stumpe (c1619-1698) of Malmesbury was a Captain of Foot in Charles I's army and was almost certainly at the Battle of Roundway in 1643. Lieutenant-Colonel Walter White (1616-1643), who came from Grittleton near Malmesbury, was a Parliamentarian who fought against the Royalists. White was supposedly killed at the First Battle of Newbury and returned to Grittleton for burial, although the date on his memorial (which no longer survives but is referred to in contemporary accounts) pre-dates Newbury by several months. Either way, the English Civil War is a fascinating yet often overlooked period in British history and Who Do You Think You Are? should be congratulated on its portrayal of a divided nation. More of the same please!
eurogordi

Postby ac1859 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:55 pm

I am writing a book on the Civil war in Wiltshire and the battle of Roundway Down July13, 1643. In the Battle there was no Royalist Foot, except those in DEvizes who were being relieved, Any details about ancestors fighting at the battle or in skirmishes around Malmesbury, Chippenham, Marlborough and Devizes etc throughout Wilts would be very interesting . Contact through Devizes Heritage website if you like Alan Carter
ac1859

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013