Moderator Control Panel ]

Help With WWI East Yorkshire Regiment Ancestor

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help With WWI East Yorkshire Regiment Ancestor

Postby keshling » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:54 pm

:?: I discovered from my great great uncle's marriage certifiate that in 1917 he was a private in the 5th (Cyclists) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment. The only trace I can find of him is on a website called east-yorkshire-regiment(dot co dot uk) that gives 'Service Number 225282' plus his name and rank, Private John Wesley Collins, from Hull. I can't find him on Ancestry no matter how many permutations of his name or service number I put in; nor can I find him in the National Archives, which surprises me as I read in another thread that everyone who served in WW1 got two medals.
Help please! Where am I going wrong?
Thanks in advance x
keshling

Re: Help With WWI East Yorkshire Regiment Ancestor

Postby ColinB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 pm

If you search Ancestry Military records for John Wesley Collins with no other details , the first result is a Pension record which says :

John Wesley Collins 205560 Forkshire ( sic) Regiment. Click on view original record and go forward through the images to 46799 of 68504. At the foot of this page are his enlistment details which say " 5th Cyclist Battn East Yorks Regiment " and have service number 225282 crossed through. It always pays to double check these records as there are errors and anomolies of which this appears to be an example.

Colin
ColinB

Re: Help With WWI East Yorkshire Regiment Ancestor

Postby keshling » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Colin B, did anyone ever tell you you're a little belter?!!!
:D
keshling

Return to Military help