Moderator Control Panel ]

Lesley Sharp's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Lesley Sharp's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Hello everyone,

It's that time again! If you're a fan of classic British dramas such as Clocking Off and Scott & Bailey, you'll be pleased to know that this week it's Lesley Sharp's turn to uncover her roots.

The actor's journey takes her from a small Essex village across the pond to Canada, where she uncovers an inspiring tale about adoption – one that she can easily relate to.

As before, please share your thoughts below. We'll also be tweeting away here

That's all I've got to say for now - just make sure you tune in to BBC One at 9pm!

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Lesley Sharp's episode

Postby Bluealf33 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode, interesting as always :)

Just wondered if George Maybury was the younger brother of William Maybury the tragic Canadian Soldier who was remembered in the Trench Detectives programme The Barnardo Boy .... thought I recognised the children in the photograph
Bluealf33

Postby Eileen Forbes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Very interesting episode. Checking the 1901 census shows Charles Patient and his second wife Jane (his first wife Hannah died in 1881) had two boarders whose birthplaces were unknown so possibly both Barnardo's children too. Their neighbours in this census also had two male boarders, birthplaces unknown. The neighbours were both in their 70's. Could the payment, shown during the episode, made for each Barnardo child have helped these pensioners in their retirement years as well as showing care and compassion for those less fortunate?
Eileen Forbes

Postby Danielle Kerrigan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 am

I thought this was a fabulous episode, although I am biased as my great grandmother was Normans sister.
I had no idea of my family history and I am in wonder of the seemingly generous and kind hearted Charles Patient. I'd love to know more about him and his children, any ideas on how I'd do this?
Danielle Kerrigan

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 am

There is a Patient family tree (but based on ancestry records, where are the originals, in Essex Record Office?) on ancestry and which appears to be linked. I don't agree about the comment about taking children in helping pensioners with their income, my 3x great grandfather took in an illegitimate child of his sixth wife (possibly her third illegitimate child) and he had no money.
junkers

Postby daveattemplestowe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:06 am

Looking forward to seeing this episode ( yes its the day after it was on the BBC but I am in Melbourne Australia ) certainly interested in Danielle's comments as I am related to Norman who was my mothers sisters husband,( Uncle ) we also lived in Wythenshawe, Manchester, and all my memories of Norman were good one's. He was heavily involved in the British Legion. I have over 4000 in my family tree but only go back 2 generations on Normans side ( paternal ) so information which can assist would be most welcome. A great series.
Regards - Dave Arnold
daveattemplestowe

Postby gill23 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:24 am

I have got to say that I am very disappointed with the new series and in particular the Lesley Sharp episode. The programme is so far removed from what it was designed to be i.e. how to trace your family, interesting stories and to be informative. Adoption and how to find records should have been explained in more detail. Amateur genaologists need to know more about where to find particular records.

What a waste of the licence payers money sending her to Canada to see a person who is not even a relation.
gill23

Postby cazza44 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 am

I have to say I was very touched by Lesley Sharp's story and was glued to this episode. I think that tracing your family, particularly in her circumstances, is a very brave thing to do. I was amazed at how well she kept it together because at times I was bawling my eyes out. In response to the previous poster, though I think that tracing your family history can take you in many directions. The route that Lesley took was important to her and in my understanding she needed to have some kind of closure on the people she uncovered during her search. I felt that she did. It was also very touching that at the end of the episode she acknowledged her adoptive father as being her true father. It was such a sensitive issue for her and I admire her courage in sharing it with us.
cazza44

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 am

junkers wrote:I don't agree about the comment about taking children in helping pensioners with their income, my 3x great grandfather took in an illegitimate child of his sixth wife (possibly her third illegitimate child) and he had no money.

The earlier comment made by Eileen suggested that the payment made by Barnados may have helped the pensioners out in their retirement, although it is unlikely to have been enough to have made it worth their while taking in the children.

As your ancestor took in his own wife's illegitimate child, he would not have received any payment from Barnados so I don't see any comparison with your example and the Barnados example.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am

gill23 wrote:I have got to say that I am very disappointed with the new series and in particular the Lesley Sharp episode. The programme is so far removed from what it was designed to be i.e. how to trace your family, interesting stories and to be informative. Adoption and how to find records should have been explained in more detail. Amateur genaologists need to know more about where to find particular records.

What a waste of the licence payers money sending her to Canada to see a person who is not even a relation.

I think your views are harsh. I thought the programme was really well done and stands out as being different to most of the others. It was a good example to people of how to approach living relatives and, even though George Maybury was not a blood relative of Lesley Sharp, he was a part of her broader family as he was taken in by Charles and Jane. As she was adopted, Lesley Sharp knows more than most people about ties to people who are not blood relations.

The programme is about uncovering different stories in people's backgrounds. Watching people search through records for a whole hour would not provide an entertaining programme. There is usually plenty of advice on the WDYTYA? website to help people use records to trace their family tree. Most of us amateur genealogists are happy to find our own way back through our family trees and are not reliant on a TV programme one hour a week for a couple of months a year.
ksouthall

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013