Moderator Control Panel ]

Lesley Sharp's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Re: Lesley Sharp's episode

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Like ksouthall, I think the views expressed previously about this being a poor episode in a poor series, are a tad harsh. In fact, my husband and I, both keen and very experienced genealogists, have rather enjoyed this series. It seems to have gone 'back to basics' rather more than some of the last few series. Very few of us can trace our ancestry back to royalty, but lots of us can trace it back to Ag Labs!

So far this time, we have had more ordinary people, but with interesting tales in their lives. Last night, the kindly elderly couple were Ag. Labs. But we learnt about tracing and approaching living relatives, and about Barnardos children which may be a huge issue for some viewers wondering how to break through that particular brick wall. We have also seem issues to do with bankruptcy, illegitimacy and the workhouse, just to refer to a few of the themes. I know that I have got all of these in my Tree, and so will lots of others. The programmes are giving a good broad brush view about how - and where - to track down these events, and again, I agree that we do not want to see 60 minutes of people doing look-ups on Ancestry.

One other point about last night: Lesley SHARP was a wonderful subject, and it was great to see a rather less saccharine attitude than in some episodes. What a lovely tough lady. And I thought it so telling that the only issue that really brought the tears was her desire not to dishonour or devalue the memory of her beloved adoptive father. My heart went out to her.
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby callbrian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi,
Happy to agree with ksouthall and brummie on Exmoor.
This series is a little different to the past series, even the narrator has changed. I think the main advantage the BBC and the 'celebrites' involved have over us mere mortals, is they find it possible to access records and places we cannot.I wish I had the time and money to visit the records offices, pay researchers etc.
I do find it very interesting when as in last nights episode that adoption records are available. Also that Charles and his wife were allowed to receive the children at such at late age, when there is the current question of how old foster parents and carers etc. can be.
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ritah » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Thank you Brummie on Exmoor ksouthall and callbrian, you have said it all for me. A brilliant episode in what has so far been an excellent series.

Rita
ritah

Postby Mumlee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi. I did a quick bit of research of the Canadian records for what they call British Home Children, child migrants. A W. Maybury and Elsie Maybury were sent to Canada in 1903 by Barnardo. George Mayberry was sent in 1912 as stated in the tv programme. I think that they said the sister was called Elsie and the year she and W were sent seems to about right from what I recall of the dates from the programme.
I also thought it could be the same family that appear in the WW1 programme.
My father was a British Home Child so I found this programme interesting.
Mumlee

Postby ColinB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I thought this episode was excellent and so far the series seems to be covering some different areas which make it doubly interesting.

gmaybury has Maybury Family Tree on Ancestry. William and Elsie Maybury did go to Canada. Elsie married and lived until 1961 but William was killed in France in 1917. George Maybury sadly died in 1926 at the age of 27.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Wahian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 pm

For those interested in the Canadian Maybury side, this 2008 Canadian article might be of interest.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2008/11/ ... the-fallen
Wahian

Postby Hillyso16 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

I thought I was having a déjà vu moment when I saw the picture of the Maybury children. Wife told me I was bonkers but I knew I'd seen it before! It was on 'finding the fallen' and concerned Will Maybury!
What a small world we live in....
A fantastic and moving tale, ought to show both programmes together to get the full effect.
Hillyso16

Postby Megadancer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 am

I thought this was a brilliant episode. I read one of the previous posts saying it was a waste of money - I don't. There are lots of ways to learn methodology, it was the story here that was important. Well done to the people who told it. :D
Megadancer

Postby mikeeward » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:42 am

Whilst I enjoyed this episode, my wife shared the view of others on this Forum, that this series, whilst being entertaining, has not been of such a high standard as previous.

I have tried to watch the 'Unseen Footages' and whilst I could see the second, the first and third would not run. I am using a MacAir with OSX 10.4 in Firefox. Is it me?

Mikeeward
mikeeward

Postby junkers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 pm

I don 't think that we should worry that the 'celebrities' have had some, if not a lot, of the work done for them by researchers working for the programme. It is a lucky person who does not have to search over different parts of the country but that does not mean you can't find the information, it just takes longer and perhaps better and you get more satisfaction that you found it. With online records research became a lot easier. One other point is that this story may have further leads as there are two files at The National Archives on where Lesley Sharp was adopted, which are closed but she could apply to see if there is anything on herself.
junkers

PreviousNext

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013