Moderator Control Panel ]

Harold John Oborn

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Harold John Oborn

Postby Jeannie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Please can one of you clever people help me to trace Harold John Oborn?

He was born 27 Aug 1896 in Holborn, London and baptised 31 Jan 1897

He married Bertha Blanche Wiltshire in 1918 and they had a son the same year.

After that, I can find nothing!

I have traced his wife until her death, but Harold just seems to have disappeared. I have tried emigration and military records and found nothing.
I can’t even find a death record.

I suppose he could have changed his name unofficially, in which case my chances of finding him are just about nil.

I must have missed something but I wish I knew what it was. Please can anyone point me in the right direction?
Many thanks Jeannie
Jeannie

Re: Harold John Oborn

Postby junkers » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Have you looked at Bertha's death certificate to see if it says whether she was a widow or not and if she had a will and did she name him, did he have a will?, the online probate records should help (at least to 1966) and after that they are at the Principal Probate Registry at the High Court of Justice in central London.. If everything else fails try The National Archives (TNA) website to see if he appears and also the British Newspaper Archive. He could have changed his name or divorced Bertha (again try TNA) or perhaps he moved to Scotland or Ireland and is on their records. If any of the children married what was the status of their father stated as, e.g. deceased or otherwise. If he had abandoned Bertha then perhaps there is a record of her needing relief/maintenance.
junkers

N/A

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

Have you tried putting his name into Genes Reunited? There is one listed without a birthdate or place of birth which might be worth a try.
Last edited by KayFarndon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayFarndon

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 am

Hi
There's a tree on Ancestry which says the couple had a son.Have you tried contacting the owner,he or she may know more.?
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Jeannie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Harold and Bertha did have a son. He is now ninety five years old and doesn’t remember his father. He has been trying for over thirty years to discover what happened to his father.

I have a copy of Bertha’s death certificate. From the early nineteen thirties she had been living with another man and had changed her name to his. (I can’t find anything official, so I assume this was an unofficial change of name)
She never married the other man. He was still married to his wife and I had assumed that Bertha was still married to Harold John Oborn.

I couldn’t find anything on the probate records online.

Can anyone think of anywhere else I can look?

Jeannie
Jeannie

Postby phsvm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 pm

How about some lateral thinking here?

On the 1911 census Harold is living with his parents Henry and Elizabeth and his brother and sister Margaret and Cornelius in Burnt Oak, Middlesex? I'm hoping I have the correct family here - if not the rest is wrong, so forget it!

Having a brother called Cornelius as a first name and Oborn as a surname is a godsend as there aren't many with either name and the combination is brilliant.

The following is all from either FreeBMD or Find My Past. I don't have a subscription for the latter so this is all I have been able to glean free of charge. I'm sure if someone with a subscription would be kind enough to follow these up they could fill in some of the blanks.

Cornelius Oborn married in Romford in 1935 to someone called Brett (haven't found her first name yet). A birth for a Roger H Oborn is registered in Hendon in 1939 with the mother's maiden name given as Brett.

A Roger H Oborn married a lady called Janet (surname unknown) in Romford in 1964.

A Stuart Michael Oborn was born in Rochford, Essex in 1969.

If this is the correct family then Roger would be cousin to your 95 year old gentleman.

Again, no expense spared I've found a Roger H, Janet F and Stuart M Oborn on the 192.com website which states they were living in Benfleet, Essex in 2002. Of course without handing over cash I can't check the full address.

I can't find any records of deaths for either Roger or Janet up until 2006.

So, my suggestion would be for you to try and see if you can get a current address for Roger, Janet or Stuart and then contact them to see if this is the correct family and if so if they have any knowledge of what happened to Harold. I'm afraid I don't live anywhere near Benfleet otherwise I'd happily see if I could do some local research to find their address but perhaps if there's anyone on the forum who is local to the area they may be able to help you.

Good luck and do let me know if this turns up anything.

Oh yes, I also had a look at the sister Margaret which revealed that she married a John gray in Hendon in 1932 and a daughter Shirley was born in 1934. There were 9 marriages for people called Shirley Gray in the time bracket she probably married so I gave up at the stage!
phsvm

Postby Jeannie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Surviving members of the family know of Harold John Oborn but have no idea what happened to him.

It looks like I really am up against an almighty brickwall.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Jeannie

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Stuart, Janet and Roger Oborn were living at 37 Bartley road, Benfleet, Essex in 2002 according to the electoral rolls on FindmMyPast. They seem to disappear from the electoral rolls in 2002 so perhaps they emigrated.
ksouthall

Postby super spike » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I was looking for the name Cornelius Oborn when I came upon this post. I have a pocket watch and engraved on it are the words ''Presented to Cornelius Oborn by the Hendon Education Committee for 8 years perfect attendance 1919'' Just wondered if he was a relation?
super spike

Postby devonliz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm

In the 1939 Register (Find my past) we have:
Cornelius E Oborn b 15.7.96, railway clerk, with his wife Winifred at 40 Hill Rise, Ealing
Cornelius H Oborn 20.8.07, electrician, and wife Lily at 13 South Road Hendon
so perhaps the first Cornelius was awarded the gold watch?

BUT ALSO
Harold John O'BRIAN 27.8.96, a motor engineer, at 5 Tudor Circle Godalming
he is with his wife Phoebe and a sister(?) Doris (Victoria Dorothy).
There are no redacted names at the address, so no children lived at home with them at the time.
devonliz

Next

Return to General research queries