Moderator Control Panel ]

Cape Mounted Rifles

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Cape Mounted Rifles

Postby lindyb1954 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 am

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me track information regarding my great great grandfather Ernest William Perugia. He was born on 7 January 1867 at 2 Oakley Crescent Chelsea London. In 1885 he joined the army, the date was taken from a petition to annul his marriage, the petition states that he joined the army in 1885 and was stationed in Canterbury with his unit. On a birth certificate of a child in November 1885 he is stated as a trooper 6th Dragoon Guards.

the next mention of him is in July 1902 on the marriage certificate of his daughter and it states private Cape Mounted Rifles and states he is deceased.

I cannot find a death for him so assumed he may have died in the Boar War but cannot find him, but my knowledge in this area is very lacking so hope someone can tell me about him and possible when and where he died.

Many thanks to all taking time to read my request
Kindest regards
Linda
lindyb1954

Re: Cape Mounted Rifles

Postby Sylcec » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm

The following quote is taken from Wikipedia and gives you an idea of the scope of time in which your ancestor may have served in the Cape Mounted Rifles:
"Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878-1913)
Finally in 1878, the FAMP were fully militarised, as a unit of the Colonial Forces, and renamed Cape Mounted Riflemen.[2]
In 1879, the CMR fought in the Moorosi campaign, where they gained much distinction. They also fought in the Basutoland Gun War (1880-1881), the Matabeleland campaign (1893-1894), the Bechuanaland campaign in 1897, and the Second Boer War (1899-1902). During these wars, the CMR came to comprise the dominant portion of the whole of the Cape Forces. As before, during peacetime the CMR served as a police force."

So, he may or may not have died or served in the 2nd Boer War. A good place to post you query (if no one else comes up with the answer here) may be the Victorian Wars Forum http://www.victorianwars.com/index.php, or the AngloBoer War forum - see the latter's website here http://www.angloboerwar.com/
Good hunting!
Sylcec

Postby MysticDave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 am

My great-great-grandfather served in the original pre-1870 version of the CMR. That unit's records in the National Archives in Kew, including service records (although sadly my ancestor's appear to have gone missing) and pay books. So, I would think the later CMR record are there too.
MysticDave

Postby lindyb1954 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 am

Hi I did check the TNA but there is nothing there that covers the date of his service, however, I have been incredibly lucky in finding documents. My 2 x great grandfather joined in 1885 and died in service in 1896. A copy of his death notice appeared in the records in South Africa and these were identified by someone for me on another forum and I was recommended a record agent in South Africa who turned out to be brilliant. She charged £5 to retrieve, copy and send me the copies per file. On receipt of what I thought would only be a copy of his death notice was attached a handwritten letter written by my 3 x great grandfather, written on hearing of his sons death inquiring what was happening to his personal possessions, and a copy of the sale notice listing all his items and the money raised from the sale. All this for £5 and from time of request to receipt was 48 hours! what a service.

I also had a 2nd cousin that died in the boar war and was looking for information on him and was lucky to find details on findmypast but I also contacted - southafricawargraves.org and they were brilliant, they sent me photographs of where he was buried and copies from the memorial.

So I have been very lucky find so much information and all done by people I don't know and for either little cost or free - and they do it because they have a passion for family research. It just shows there are some brilliant people around.
lindyb1954

Postby MysticDave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Have a look at Google books under Cape Mounted Rifles as there are a few books, including one written just before your ancestor joined. You will probably have to visit the British Library (you will need a passport and a proof of address to get an entry pass).

I have seen a new book about the CMR in the 1850s, which is when my ancestor was there! I was in the NA a few years ago doing research on an unrelated subject. I was waiting for a file and found myself standing by a case of books about emigration to the main colonies. My ancestor married an Irish woman, but I couldn't trace her at all - I just opened a book about emigration to south Africa and there she was.
MysticDave

Return to Military help