Moderator Control Panel ]

Nigel Havers' episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Nigel Havers' episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello!

After Una Stubbs' fantastic episode last week, Nigel Havers certainly has a lot to live up to! I haven't actually seen it yet, but I have been told that tonight's WDYTYA? is a real cracker - and that Nigel finds out once and for all whether his ancestors were as posh as he is!

As before, share your thoughts below - it'd be great to hear whether the episode featured any similarities with your own research. Plus, don't forget to look at our Facebook

and Twitter

pages for live updates from the magazine team as we also sit down to watch the show :D

Bring on 9pm!

Jon
Last edited by Jon Bauckham on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Nigel Havers' episode

Postby junkers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:17 pm

I thought the episode was outstanding, with twists and turns. I assume that the Cornwall Record Office lent the parish register out rather than it being in the church itself. The illegitimate child in the Couch family reminded me of one of my ancestors who took the head of the household's middle name and I only found the answer (albeit it a partial answer) in the will of the head of household, still no birth certificate or who the father of the other three children were!. The episode threw out the myth that your ancestors didn't move locations very much!.
junkers

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 am

This was another interesting episode. So far, both episodes have been very different. I hope the rest of the series is as good as the first two programmes.
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi
I agree, another engrossing episode.
Interesting to see the Cornish connection. The next road to me, is Boconnoc Avenue, in fact most of the roads on our development are named after Cornish estates, Werrington, Menabilly etc. We also have a well known brand of saffron cake known as 'Couch's Saffron Cake', I just wonder if there is a connection here, as Mr. Couch was a baker in nearby St. Blazey, just over 8 miles from Boconnoc.
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby sdagreen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Wonderful episode , very interesting to hear about the Hamblion family as my Bennell family has a connection to them. Also from Colchester since about 1700 ish the Bennell are also carriers. Jeremiah son Claud marries Eva Bennell in Colchester1912.
Fabulous facts throughout. However was hoping the show advise if the current Hamblion transport of Colchester is descended from these brothers Henry or Jeremiah?
I wonder if Nigel uncle members Claud or Eva ?
sdagreen

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 pm

I enjoyed Nigel Havers' episode and the fact that it covered new subject matter. Nigel appeared very interested in his family and genuinely concerned when they hit hard times.
It was a fast hour!
KayFarndon

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the name HAMBLION come up in the programme. It is incredibly rare, and I knew instantly that Nigel's HAMBLION connection must be mine too!

Sure enough, Henry HAMBLION, the father of Elizabeth, had a younger child, Henry William Green HAMBLION, born in Colchester in early 1849. After his father's bankruptcy, in April 1868 Henry Junior emigrated to Australia, where he settled first in Brisbane, and then from 1872 in Sydney. There, on 17 December 1873, he married my 2nd cousin, Sarah SPITTLE, who emigrated with her family in 1857. Sarah's paternal Grandfather, James SPITTLE, was a police officer in Birmingham, before the founding of the modern force there, and her father Charles worked in typical Birmingham trades like gun finishing and pens, before the family left the city.

The additional law and order connection is an irony, because Henry HAMBLION turned out to be the original 'black sheep', and it is a relief to know that Henry Senior would never have known. Henry Junior went on to commit any number of offences, from drunkenness and keeping an unregistered dog, to wife desertion, embezzlement, larceny, uttering false cheques and stealing. He had a Gaol Book for Darlinghurst Gaol in Sydney, and spent the larger part of the years from 1872 to 1900 serving gaol terms of various lengths. He had worked as a Groom and Coachman in Colchester (presumably for his father), and he occasionally worked as a Horse Clipper in Sydney. He died in 1908.

Sarah seems to have stuck by him, and they had 7 children, all of whom appear to have steered clear of the law. Sarah died in Sydney in her 90s in 1941.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013