Moderator Control Panel ]

James Henry Loughlin

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

James Henry Loughlin

Postby andmax » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:20 am

I am wondering if anyone can help me. My great, great grandfather, James Henry Loughlin was born in Ireland in 1853, and I believe came to England in approx 1878. His wife was Catherine Casey. I know he was a soldier, and died at the artilery barracks, at Shornecliffe camp, Sandgate, on 7th June 1899.Would any records of him exist? If so, would they contain personal information such as place of birth, and anything on his parents? My great grandfather was born in Ireland, but his brothers in England, in army camps, I presume. Thanks, Maxine
andmax

Re: James Henry Loughlin

Postby Millst » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:33 pm

From the probate record index, James Henry Loughlin was a staff-sergeant in the Royal Artillery, Administration 20th September 1900 to James Joseph Loughlin.

Census for 1881 (Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 748; Folio: 152; Page: 31; GSU roll: 1341175.)

AT Military Division Woolwich Arsenal Subdistrict 3, Royal Military Academy Woolwich
James Loughlin Head 28 Sergeant Royal Artillery born Ireland
Catherine wife 33 soldier's wife born Ireland
Thomas Bernard 3 scholar
James Joseph 2 born Hants, Aldershot
Mathew Michael under ? months Kent Woolwich

I think I have found James and his family in the 1891 census at Cheriton St Marin (St Martin?) near Folkstone.
James 39 head Sergeant Royal Artillery Born Ireland (estimated year birth 1852)
Margaret 38 wife born Ireland
Thomas 13 son born Ireland
James 12 son born Aldershot
Mathew 10 son born Woolwich, Kent
Margaret 9 daughter born Weedon, Northants
Catherine 7 daughter born Weedon, Northants
John 3 son born Shorncliffe, Kent

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 751; Folio: 134; Page: 2; GSU Roll: 6095861

I looked for baptisms in Ireland for James Henry but there are so many James Loughlin's and I couldn't find an obvious one.

The above should hopefully make it easier to find the children.
Millst

Postby Millst » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:03 am

There are probably records at The National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ but only certain ones are available to view online.
Millst

Postby junkers » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

As he died in 1899 then there is not likely to be a service record for him at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew as the main series are pension records (series WO 97). The records that exist are digitised on findmypast (FMP) but there are a number of '?' entries which doesn't help. There are pay lists/muster rolls at TNA but these are heavy and difficult to use. If his Father was in the British Army when he was born he may have a military birth certificate, the indexes are online at FMP.
junkers

Postby ColinB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Looking at the Irish Civil Registration Marriages Index on Ancestry and cross referencing the names finds James Loughlin 1876 Clonmel v9 p 305 and a corresponding record for Catherine Casey. The certificate should at least give you their fathers' names. Here is a link for ordering :

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

You cannot use the link for online ordering as that applies to later records and the form does not appear to match the reference criteria , but I have used it and it does work if you give the details and reference. Otherwise you could try rootsireland.ie , which I have already flagged up to you in another of your topics.

Colin
ColinB

Postby andmax » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:51 am

Thank you for all of your help. Much appreciated! Maxine
andmax

Postby Sylcec » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:37 am

The birth of James and Catherine's son Thomas is on http://www.familysearch.org :
Name: Thomas Loughlin
Birth Date: 12 Jul 1877
Birthplace: Westmeath Co., Ireland
Father's Name: James Loughlin
Father's Birthplace: Curragh
Mother's Name: Catherine Casey Loughlin
GS Film number: 255989
Reference ID: v 13 p 2

Hope this helps. Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Military help