Moderator Control Panel ]

Regimental Numbers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Regimental Numbers

Postby ritah » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello everyone

Can someone tell me if there is any way of discovering from a WW1 Regimental Number where the person enlisted, was there any sequence of numbers which applied to different areas of the country?

Sorry if this seems a strange question but I am trying to confirm whether a medal roll card I found does actually refer to my relative. It has his correct name, Thomas H (for Hammond) Piper, RFA Gunner Reg'l no. (TF) 876712 and RFA Reg'l no. 191088. There are no service records on Ancestry for him. My relative was living in Coventry at the time of WW1 and had connections to Worcestershire.

I have looked on the Long Long Trail website but didn't find anything to help me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rita
ritah

Re: Regimental Numbers

Postby ColinB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Ritah,

I don't think numbers were issued on the basis of location of enlistment , but rather blocks of numbers were allocated to regiments and then issued in chronological order. This seems to be a useful piece on the subject :

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.u ... index.html

In particular the case studies show that men enlisting in the Border Regiment having consecutive numbers came from diverse places.

I'm not an expert on this and I'm sure one or two of our members who are will have something helpful to say on the subject !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am

Hi Colin

Thanks for that connection, I have had a quick look this morning and it has given me one piece of information, that is the TF letters stands for Territorial Force, which I probably should have guessed! Does Territorial Force mean that those men were already part time soldiers as we understand it today? I will have a proper read through the information later.

Any advice appreciated.

Rita
ritah

Postby Clayhead » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Ritah

I think Territorial Force is what is now the Territorial Army. You might try emailing the Royal Artillery museum, I did when trying to find out about my great grandfather who was also RFA (TF) and I was given a shed load of information.
Clayhead

Postby ritah » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello Clayhead

Many thanks for that, I have had to put that particular part of my research on hold for the moment but I will certainly give it a try.

Thanks again

Rita
ritah

Postby ritah » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello again Clayhead

I have been in touch with the Royal Artillery Museum as you suggested and they have been very helpful. Only Territorial Force numbers were issued in identifiable blocks which allowed them to check the service number but it turns out to be for someone from the Norwich area so not my grandfather. Back to the drawing board!

Rita
ritah

Postby Clayhead » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Rita

Glad I could be of help.
Clayhead

Return to Military help