Moderator Control Panel ]

Medal Roll Index Card

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Medal Roll Index Card

Postby ritah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Could anyone help me to interpret the remarks on my great uncle's medal card please, it is all very clearly written so no question of being unable to read it.

Medal - British
Roll - F/101A
Page - 43
Remarks - "Returned (1743 K.R.) 8115/Adt"

I assume K.R. stands for Kings Regulations.

This chap didn't see service in Europe only England then to India which is why, I assume, he is not shown as being given the Victory Medal.

Any ideas please?

Rita
ritah

Re: Medal Roll Index Card

Postby Sylcec » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:47 am

Ritah - I think the 'Returned" means that the medal was returned, possibly because it did not reach the intended recipient. You say that he went to India - many troops went from India to Mesopotamia which was also a theatre of war.
I was under the impression that all soldiers who served in WWI received the British War and Victory Medals - maybe I'm wrong.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ritah » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks Sylvia

His service record shows that he only served in UK and India and his home address didn't change so I think it unlikely that the "Returned" means it simply couldn't reach him but worth thinking about. I wondered if he might have returned the medal himself.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Rita
ritah

Postby g w aldous » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Kings Regulations 1912 Paragraph 1743 medals unclaimed after 10 years to be sent to be broken up to the deputy director of stores, Royal Dockyard, Woolwich. ADT = amendment.
hope this helps.
g w aldous

Postby ritah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for your reply and information, I'm still not sure why the medal was returned but that will have to remain one of the many unanswered questions I suppose.

With regard to Sylvia's comment about someone automatically receiving the BWM and VM, there is a letter in this month's magazine in which part of Phil Tomaselli's reply states that someone could receive the BWM without the VM but couldn't get the VM without the BWM.

Thanks again to you both.

Rita
ritah

Postby g w aldous » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:43 pm

ritah ,

he didn't return the medal. as my previous post says it was never claimed so under the regulation it was returned to woolwich to be destroyed.
if you are entitled to a medal you have to claim it and then if the monarch bestows the honour on you you then have to accept it or decline it. my medals were presented to me by the officer commanding my unit. higher honours are presented by the Queen or one of the other royals.
I have the golden jubilee medal (TA) & the Imperial Service Medal for direct support of the armed forces in a civil service role.
g w aldous

Postby ritah » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 am

Apologies to gwaldous, I misunderstood. By the way congratulations on your medals.

Rita
ritah

Return to Military help