Moderator Control Panel ]

Do I have the correct father?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Do I have the correct father?

Postby michelcoz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 pm

My grandfather Ernest Edward Oliver (called Bert/Albert by his family) born in Bermondsey in 1883 gives his father as William Henry Oliver (Tin Man) on his marriage certificate but I have never been able to find a birth certificate the corresponds with this information. When I asked my uncle, who sadly passed away in May aged 90, he recalled Ernest's mother being a Harwood. I then found that one of the birth certificates I had corresponded with this information, although the father's name was Henry Richard Oliver (iron worker) and Mother Caroline Harwood. How can I be sure this is definitely the right father?
michelcoz

Re: Do I have the correct father?

Postby junkers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Have you looked on the census to see if you can confirm this, the 1911 census is best as full names were often included. It sounds to me like the person (Henry Richard Oliver) may not be the right one. I think you may find a baptism for Ernest Edward Oliver in Bermondsey from the London Metropolitan Archives which is available online on ancestry and this may give the information.

Incidentally, it is best (to avoid confusion) if you post your query in just one area of the message board otherwise you may have to look in the two different areas of the message board.

Thanks.
junkers

Re: Do I have the correct father?

Postby michelcoz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I have checked Ancestry a million times and ordered every birth certificate for 1883 that I can on Ernest Edward Oliver with this being the only one that fits with what I have been told. The reason I really believed this could be correct is that my grandfather did tend to change his name and other details to suit the occasion. My grandfather was married to my grandmother and had 3 children in the 1911 census so this is no help in searching for his father. I tried the 1901 census, which is the year he married, but this proved fruitless.
michelcoz

Return to Genealogy chat