Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history
Post a reply

Draper's Field, Warwickshire

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Is there anyone who has any information on Draper's Field (or Fields) near Rugby, Warwickshire? On their marriage certificate my great grandparents give Draper's Field as their addresses although on the census they live "on the common". Was Draper's Field a local name for the common? Was it a site for travellers? Any help appreciated

Re: Draper's Field, Warwickshire

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello

Drapers Field is a road and an area currently in Coventry and is near to the Coventry Canal and quite close to the city centre. It is also shown on a map from 1898. The reference to the common could be Radford Common which is still called that and can be seen on current maps and is only a mile or so from Drapers Field. Coventry was an important centre for the cloth industry and that area may well have been used by them. We have a Drapers Hall in the city centre which is the original building used for cloth trading. I'm not sure where the reference to Rugby comes in as I couldn't find anything of that name in Rugby, is that on the marriage certificate? is that where they were married?

For any further information you could contact the Coventry History Centre or Rugby Library Service who both have local studies and family history information.

Good luck Rita

Re: Draper's Field, Warwickshire

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:43 am

Many thanks for that Rita, I will contact the places you mention and see what I can find. On some certificates the address is given as Coventry but on most it is Rugby, or Bilton.
Thanks again. Jane
Post a reply