Moderator Control Panel ]

More information needed EIC Army Captain

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

More information needed EIC Army Captain

Postby KarenQld » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am

I am trying to research a Thomas Hake who was in the EIC Army. I have checked both FIBIS and India Office Family websites. I only found two pieces of information on him - one had his Cadetship and the other his death details (see below). I've checked newspapers, gazettes, etc. It seems he became a Captain only in the same year he died in 1818; previously being a Lieutenant ... I thought it odd I cannot find any previous appointments such as Ensign or Cornet etc. As I am trying to establish if he is mine, the main information I'm looking for is his DOB, or age at some point or possibly even where he was born so I can at least dismiss him as mine.

I'd appreciate suggestions and ideas of what to look for next? I have done some research on various members of family in the British India Army but as they've usually achieved a much higher rank, there is more of a paper trail.

Entry from Applications for Cadetships in the EIC Armies
Surname Hake
Forename(s) Thomas
IOR Ref: L/MIL/9/113
Folio No. 507-08
Season(s) 1803-04
LDS Film No. 1951685

Name: Thomas HAKE
Event type: Death
Date: 08 Sep
Year: 1818
Will administration:
Notes:
Transcribed by: British Library
India Office Records Reference:
Source name: East India Register 1819-2
Source year:
Source edition:
Presidency:
KarenQld

Re: More information needed EIC Army Captain

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Karen
A record for an EIC Army Officer cadet who joined before 1806 is, in my experience, likely to consist only of a baptism certificate or sworn statement from a close relative attesting to the cadet's date and place of birth. However, you will need to get hold of the LDS microfilm which contains that record to view the information. Although I have access to quite a lot of EIC films locally, Cadet records are too large a series to be held, so always need ordering. Unfortunately I am not aware of any compilation bio & career summary of Bombay Army Officers (unlike Bengal Army Officers).

Incidentally, from the records you provide I note that Thomas was a "Brevet Captain" which did not have full authority of the rank of Captain within the regiment. See the definition from the Fibiwiki here:
Brevet. An officer was generally promoted within the corps in which he served in accordance with his seniority and any vacancy within that corps due to transfer, retirement or death. Certain officers were, however, deemed worthy of a higher rank by virtue of long and/or distinguished service but were unable to be granted it due to the lack of vacancy. Accordingly, a Commander-in-Chief was empowered to issue a letter (French word, ‘Brevet') granting him ‘Brevet' Rank within the Army at large. Generally, this conferred with it the uniform and right to command of the ‘higher' rank.

Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KarenQld » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks Sylvia, I've checked and it's available for ordering. It will be worthwhile to find his Cadetship application as I would only need one of the identifiers you mentioned and I will know if it is him.

Thanks for the clarification on the Brevet, the item in the gazette indicated he was due the rank as he had served the required 15yrs so that would make sense.

I was just surprised I could find nothing of his death in the papers ... according to the papers, all was quiet in Malwa!

Can I ask if you know how old he would have to be for the Cadetship. If he is mine, he would be 18 years.

Karen
KarenQld

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes, he certainly should be 18.

As I was at the LDS FHC yesterday I checked the Bombay Probate Indexes and he did leave a will. There is a remote chance that I may be able to view this at SAG next Tuesday as a researcher there has had the relevant film out recently - don't know if its been returned though!

When you say you have checked the papers - did you look in the early Bombay Courier which is available up to 1815 in the Adam Matthew collection entitled "Eighteenth Century Journals". If you have an NLA reader card, just log-on to their E-resources and access it that way.

Cheers
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KarenQld » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:44 am

Thank so much for looking Sylvia. That would be great, if you find you can or can't, it's much appreciated. The London Gazette showed there were still claims against his estate in December 1819.

I use the British Newspapers via NLA's eResources; but I didn't know about the Adam Matthew collection, excellent, what a great collection, I can see I will be trawling through there over the weekend. I've used the general 18th century online collections for other things but never had much success.

I've done a quick search in the collection and I think I shall be able to find some of his career prior the 1st Bombay as I think it was only raised the year before he died in 1817.
TY, Karen
KarenQld

Postby KarenQld » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 am

Sylcec wrote:Yes, he certainly should be 18.

As I was at the LDS FHC yesterday I checked the Bombay Probate Indexes and he did leave a will. There is a remote chance that I may be able to view this at SAG next Tuesday as a researcher there has had the relevant film out recently - don't know if its been returned though!

Hi Sylvia, could I ask you what relevant film I would need for this Will? I can only find information re these records at the British Library. I can order LDS films to our Brisbane Gen Society here but are these on LDS?
Karen
KarenQld

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Karen

Firstly, apologies for not having got back to you on this query. I did check with the person who had a Bombay will film out at Soc.Aus.Gen. but unfortunately it was for a later period. The film you want is for Bombay (Presidency). High Court of Judicature (Main Author) :
Probate records 1802-1822 Family History Library BRITISH Film 506938
Cheers
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KarenQld » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:26 am

Fantastic, thanks so much for the details Sylvia, I just couldn't seem to locate the info. ('no worries' I guessed it wasn't the right film, and thanks again for looking). I'm hoping Thomas' details will give me the final puzzle pieces I need. Karen
KarenQld

Return to Military help