Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Obrey World War 1 Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Richard Obrey World War 1 Records

Postby JasonB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I am trying to locate Richards' service records on Ancestry but am having no luck even when using the wild card function.
He was born in 1889 in Staffordshire and in 1911 he lived at 22 Cottage St, Stafford, Staffordshire, England. He moved to Selly Oak, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England in 1922 according to the Electoral Register.
I have been told he was called up in 1916 and served in the Worcester's Regiment. He was wounded whilst serving with the Worcester's in the Dardanelles campaign and was invalided out to Egypt.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
JasonB

Re: Richard Obrey World War 1 Records

Postby junkers » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 pm

There are two possibilities, a Richard Obrey and a Richard O'Brey, both listed on the Discovery database at The National Archives, Kew. It looks like that they are one and the same person, given his number in the Worcestershire Regiment and that he had served in a number of regiments/units. It may be that his file did not survive when the Army Pay office was hit by a German bomb in 1940 or if he served after 1920 then his file may still be with the Ministry of Defence in Glasgow for which there is a fee (around £30) to access it.
junkers

Re: Richard Obrey World War 1 Records

Postby JasonB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I have found part of his war records on ancestry. I changed the surname to O'brey and got three hits. Two were for Richard Obery and one for Richard O'brey.
One of the Richard Obrey records was the one I was looking for and the one for Richard O'brey was another one - they both had the same regiment numbers even though the surnames were slightly different. However, there was only one page per entry for him not the full record.
Strange that I couldn't locate them using Obrey but found them when I included the apostrophe.
Many thanks to everyone who assisted me.
JasonB

Return to Military help