Moderator Control Panel ]

Copy list of individuals from FTM

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Copy list of individuals from FTM

Postby joannelovesbooks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:37 am

I want to be able to copy the surnames in my FTM tree to another file, such as Word or Excel, and I can't work out how to do so. I know I can create a relationship report which will have all the people listed and I don't mind if I have to copy the whole report because I can easily delete the other info, but can anyone tell me how to get this data into another kind of file?

Thank you in advance

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Re: Copy list of individuals from FTM

Postby ColinB » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm

In FTM 2012 you can select Publish ,Reports , then Person Reports , then Index of Individuals Report. Generate the report and then select Share. From the dropdown menu select Export to RTF, then save. The report is saved by default to your Family Tree Maker file in Documents ( unless you chose a different location ). I've just done this as an experiment and the file then opens as a Word doc.

Not sure what happens with older versions of FTM , but I hope this helps !

Colin
ColinB

Postby lottie's mum » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 pm

I tried on FTM 11, but hasn't got Index of individuals, had a play but looks like it may be an improvement on FTM 12. The sticking point seems to be that I have a person highlighted and I can't see how to make sure no people are highlighted to see if I can get all individuals. Hope that make sense!
lottie's mum

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:34 am

Thank you both for your replies. I have just followed Colin's instructions and it did exactly as I wanted, so I can now go ahead with the next stage.

Many thanks
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby lottie's mum » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Looks like an upgrade might be worth it!
lottie's mum

Return to Genealogy chat