Moderator Control Panel ]

Halsey alias Chambers of Hertfordshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Halsey alias Chambers of Hertfordshire

Postby ksouthall » Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 am

I have been looking into a branch of my dad's family and noticed some interesting parish records, stating the surname as Halsey alias Chambers.

I have looked on Access to Archives and various other sites and it looks like the Halsey family from around Flamstead, Great Gaddesden and a branch that moved to Kimpton, were using this surname for quite some time. The earliest reference I could find was about 1498 - John Halsey alias Chambers - with records appearing in the Kimpton parish records in the 17th Century for Halsey alias Chambers.

I am assuming the alias was used to make a claim on some money or land, or due to illegitimacy, but was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions or information about this family.
ksouthall

Re: Halsey alias Chambers of Hertfordshire

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I have the same instance within our family. Back in the 16/1700s We have Parmiter alias Spurrier but also Spurrier alias Parmiter. I too had assumed illegitimacy but was surprised to find the names written both ways.

I am unable to offer anything further to answer your problem, but would also be interested in peoples opinions.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ksouthall » Tue May 28, 2013 9:20 am

I have found a more famous instance of someone changing their name although it is not entirely clear in this case either.

Katherine Cromwell (elder sister of Sir Thomas Cromwell) married Morgan ap William. Their son Richard took the surname of his uncle, Sir Thomas Cromwell.

Richard was known as Richard Williams alias Cromwell. His son was Henry Williams alias Cromwell. The next generation was Robert Cromwell who had a famous son called Oliver Cromwell.

Thomas Cromwell was Oliver Cromwell's great-great-great-uncle.

So technically, Oliver Cromwell should have been called Oliver Williams!

I'd guess in this instance the surname was changed because of the family connections and in order to gain some inheritance or political or social advantage, which may be the case in the other two examples already mentioned on this forum.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
ksouthall

Postby ColinB » Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 am

There is an interesting article on this subject on familysearch:

http://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/ ... n_Overview

If you are lucky enough to find some early wills you might find a clue to the reason for the alias - how interesting and frustrating !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ksouthall » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am

Hello Colin and Sally,

Thanks for your replies the link in Colin's reply. Very interesting stuff - I will see if I can turn up any old wills. What is interesting is that Halsey alias Chambers family is only very distantly linked to mine. However some records in Access to Archives mention land called Wood End in Flamstead that later ended up in the Hawkins branch of my family which I think is an interesting coincidence.
Thanks again,

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Dawsoneit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I have been researching the Bunn family of Bovingdon in Hertfordshire. Josiah Bunn married in 1674/5 Susannah Chambers. In a draft deed which surrendered out of court a copyhold in 1717, she is described as the only surviving daughter and heir of Thomas Halsey. This has been puzzling me. Your thread throws some light on the matter. In her will she bequeathes a farm called Popnutts in Kensworth Green near Harpenden to one of her sons. I imagine she must have inherited this property, as it certainly it was not in her husband's estate.

The Bunns farmed at Popnutts, which became Poplars and is now Lady Bray's Farm until the late 1880s.
Dawsoneit

Return to General research queries