Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone identify the uniform of this soldier

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Can anyone identify the uniform of this soldier

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

Hi,
Among some of my partner's family photographs are these 2 portraits. As most of the photos come from Zoe's great grandmother Wilhelmina Fulton Hobson we have a feeling that they might be of Wilhelmina's great grandparents. Wilhelmina's father was William Hobson, the famous Quaker Minister of Lurgan, who in his autobiography says that he remembers that they both died in 1846 and were buried in the Presbyterian church in Lurgan and that his grandfather had been in the Peninsular War. Sadly he only refers to them as Grandfather and grandmother Fulton so we have no idea on their first names, although my research has found that they may have possibly been called Thomas Fulton and his wife Mary. If I could find any burials for Fultons in the Presbyterian graveyards in Lurgan it would help but I've not had much response to that query elsewhere. If someone was able to identify the soldier's uniform in the portrait then it might give me some more clues and perhaps point me towards possibly Fultons in the army lists. It would also be useful if we could date both pictures.
Any help is much appreciated
All the best
Wayne Farmer
Attachments
P11504092.jpg
What era was this lady from?
P11504092.jpg (165.07 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
P115040822.jpg
Peninsular War Uniform?
P115040822.jpg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Guybrush Threepwood

Re: Can anyone identify the uniform of this soldier

Postby g w aldous » Wed May 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I am by no means an expert but it looks like a light infantry horn on his crossbelt.
g w aldous

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Tue May 28, 2013 6:37 pm

I hadn't noticed that till you pointed it out - that's a start at least :)
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby MysticDave » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

I am no expert, but it looks post-Napoleonic, although the horn does signify Light Infantry.

You could try the The Miniatures Page (mostly wargamers and painters) as you can post in the Napoleonic and 19th century sections - Google under TMP as this board says the link is "too spammy".
MysticDave

Return to Military help