Moderator Control Panel ]

7th Royal Norfolks

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

7th Royal Norfolks

Postby edwards69 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:19 pm

My grandfather was posted to the 7th Royal Norfolks and went to France on 13 Jan 1940. My grandfather fought in the rear guard action at St Valery on Caux when his battalion was attached to the 51st Highland Division. As is well documented the 51st Highland Division was left behind during operation Dynamo (Dunkirk) and surrendered en masse. Except my grandfather and a group of others in his battalion did not surrender and returned to Britain on 23 Jun 1940 after rowing across the channel. Does anyone have any information relating to the 162 days the 7th Royal Norfolks spent in France? I have enquired of the NRO regarding the war diaries but have been quoted £576 for a pdf copy (it being difficult for me to go in person). Any stories or information would be gratefully received.
edwards69

Re: 7th Royal Norfolks

Postby sdup26 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 am

Have you tried http://www.51hd.co.uk/history/valery_1940 ? Or www.rnrm.org.uk ?
Contacting the regiment directly might get you the information you want for a great deal less money!
sdup26

Postby Steve Snelling » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi,
my name is Steve Snelling and I have carried out a great deal of research on the 7th Royal Norfolks with a view to writing a history of the battalion.
I'd be happy to assist in any way I can.
Look forward to hearing from you,
best wishes
Steve
Steve Snelling

Postby Steve Snelling » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:38 am

Hi,
my name is Steve Snelling and I have been working for some years on compiling a history of the 7th Royal Norfolk Regiment during the Second World War.
One of the chapters is all about those who managed to escape from St Valery en Caux.
I would very much like to make contact with you.
My email address is sjsnelling@sky.com
regards
Steve Snelling
Steve Snelling

Return to General research queries