Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Artillary

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Artillary

Postby lin46 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 am

:D Hello everyone,I'm new to this site.
I am currently researching my family history of my great grandfather x4 He was John Hercules Finnigan born in Ireland in 1879 he married a Julia smith in 1812 in plumstead Kent, he had twins while there then he moved to Ashton under lyne Manchester were he had 4 more children. I am looking into his military background I thought I had found his record which said he served with the 56 foot regiment the dates on this record tallied with the dates.But I have since found out he was with the driver corps which is the royal Artillary ? Cannot find any records at all of his Military background I was told by other relatives they heard in the past he had won 5 clasps? Haven't got a clue please can anyone help thank you very much.
lin46

Re: Royal Artillary

Postby junkers » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Could you please clarify the dates of birth (1879) and marriage (1812) as they do not match as this has an impact as the First World War records are on ancestry and earlier ones are on Findmypast although they belong to and are held at The National Archives (TNA), Kew. The 56th Regiment indicates that he may have been elsewhere as the headquarters of the Royal Artillery is in Woolwich, but I have doubts over the link of the Driver Corps and the Royal Artillery. The mention of 5 clasps suggests a possible early Army record than the First World War and assuming he joined when around 18 years old then you are talking about the Boer war in South Africa in 1899-1902 and TNA have a set of records on the medal awarded.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Mon May 13, 2013 12:53 am

Clearly for a 4th gt grandfather the first date is probably wrong! I have found the marriage of Julian(sic) Smith to John Hercules Finnigan in Familysearch 25 May 1812. I also note the baptism of John Hercules Finnigan junior at St Mary Magdalene Woolwich on 8 August 1813.

I see there is a family tree with images up on Ancestry - is this yours? (Nicola Erith)
From 1841 census, I see that Julia is already on her own so looked for a death in free bmd, and this may be your man:
Deaths Jun 1839, Finnigan John Ashton 20 24

So, with respect to his military service, the Royal Artillery is a possibility, if only for the fact that he was near Woolwich for his marriage and at that place for the baptism of his first child. However, without looking at original baptism registers which should give the father's occupation (Rank & Regt if you're lucky) we can't say which regiment. Certainly you would probably be looking at a period of service commencing after 1798 and he may have been discharged before the move to Ashton Under Lyne - however this is purely speculative at this stage. Whatever! If discharged to pension the records you want will be found on FindMyPast - though I consider that they have been very poorly indexed.

Hmm - have checked the National Archives Discovery Catalogue and note the two references of possible interest:
Reference: WO 97/690/128
Description:
JOHN FINNIGAN
Born TUAM, Galway
Served in 56th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 39
Date:1804-1826

and
Reference: WO 97/1227/198
Description: JOHN FINNIGAN
Born [Not Known]
Served in Royal Artillery Drivers
Discharged aged 33
Date: 1803-1808

At this stage either could be right - you will need to examine the army records in detail, and also find the original baptism records for the children to see what they give as John's occupation.
Good hunting!
Sylvia
Last edited by Sylcec on Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylcec

Postby SER1 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 pm

The original baptism records on Ancestry for John Hercules Finnigan jnr show his father as a private in the driver corps. A daughter Julien was baptised at the same time. DOB for both is shown as July 23rd 1813
SER1

Postby lin46 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello sorry I meant he was born in 1787 he was a driver it tells you on the Baptisams of his children which were born in Woolwich says he was a private he moved to ashton under lyne is buried in st Michaels church in ashton under lyne in 1828 age 41 years one of his sons age 8 months is also buried there in1824,I have been looking on find my past there are a few John finnigans one keeps coming up which would tie with my John finnigan but he was in the 56 foot regiment and another one is with the 28th foot regiment
lin46

Postby lin46 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:51 am

I am still baffled by John finnigans war record I have a copy of the 56 th foot regiment which I thought was him ,but don't think it can be his age is right because my John finnigan is buried in ashton under lyne 1828 age 41 years,these records say he was discharged from the Army in 1826 2 years after he's buried in Ashton u lyne? The age matches his birth but only his first children the twins were born in Woolwich the other 4 were born in ashton under lyne.
lin46

Postby ColinB » Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 am

Clearly the record you mention cannot be him if he was already buried at the time of discharge. There is one possible record on FMP which has been indexed as John FINNIGAR b 1775 , driver RA. Unfortunately it is only an extract as the Army had lost the original document. It has John Finnigan born earlier , but that may not be accurate , and being discharged in 1808 after 5 years service. I know that he gave his occupation as Driver RA at the later births of his children but perhaps he gave that as his last occupation . In any event the record , if it is him , is not helpful as it gives barely any information.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

I am still baffled by John finnigans war record I have a copy of the 56 th foot regiment which I thought was him ,but don't think it can be his age is right because my John finnigan is buried in ashton under lyne 1828 age 41 years,these records say he was discharged from the Army in 1826 2 years after he's buried in Ashton u lyne?

Surely his discharge in 1826 is 2 years before he is buried in 1828? Or have you got those 2 years the wrong way round?
Guybrush Threepwood

Return to Military help