Moderator Control Panel ]

Jackman

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jackman

Postby calvinator » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 am

I'm looking for help with an ancestor who was convicted and sent to Van Diemens island (Tasmania) in 1837. Benjamin Jackaman was convicted in 1837 in Stowmarket, Suffolk, England and arrived in Tasmania in 1838 aboard the Neptune. He then dropped the 'a" in Jackaman and became Jackman. He later married a Mary Ann Reid following his release in 1844. They went on to have a lot of children in Bothwell, Tasmania - Benjamin Jackaman died in 1879.
I'm looking for anyone who has information, stories, photos of his life post conviction.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
calvinator

Re: Jackman

Postby Sylcec » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 pm

You may have already done this but if not, your first port of call should be the Tasmanian Archives. Very many of their convict records have been digitised and are freely available on line, though they do need patience to find. Search home page http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?search=1. CON31/1/25 are convict conduct records 1835-1843. No. 1062 on image 78 of the set is the record of your Benjamin Jackman http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-25,332,78,C,80

You will see that there are two other online record sets which have info about him:
Convict Details
Jackman, Benjamin
Convict No: 35817
Extra Identifier:
SEE Surname:
SEE Given Names:
Voyage Ship: Neptune (1)
Voyage No: 147
Arrival Date: 18 Jan 1838
Departure Date: 07 Oct 1837
Departure Port: London
Conduct Record: CON31/1/25
Muster Roll:
Appropriation List: CON27/1/7
Other Records:
Indent:
Description List: CON23/1/2
Remarks:

The other place that may have information about him is the Trove newspaper search. This is a link to the advanced search function http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y. In particular you may find the sad account of the death of their daughter Lucy in 1873 who drowned.
Sylcec

Postby calvinator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:39 am

Thank you for the helpful hints - I have now been able to also locate a few family notices as well.
calvinator

Postby LBunce » Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi have information in my family tree of Benjamin Jackaman, I will try and copy it and send to you.
Would be interested to know any information you have on the Jackaman tree. If you have access to ancestry my tree is there under jackaman/bunce.

From Ross Harrison I learnt that Benjamin Jackaman was convicted in the Suffolk Quarter sessions in 1837c for stealing a large quantity of oats and malt (he was a brewer by trade) and transported for seven years to Tasmania or Van Dieman's land as it was called then. It was permissable in those days to take your wife and children but Benjamin didn't or it may have been Sarah that didn't want to go.Ben never returned to the UK , he eventually remarried to one Mary Anne Reid,dropped the A in Jackaman to become Jackman. Further information from the Walsham –le-Willows history site:Benjamin Jackaman was a maltster working for William Cornell who operated a maltings in Palmer Street (opposite Moores where a flint wall remains). He stole “7 bushels of undressed malt, 2 pecks of oats and 2 hempen sacks”. He was tried at the Suffolk Quarter Sessions at Bury on 7th March 1837 and sailed on the “Neptune” on 4th October with 350 convicts arriving at Van Dieman’s Land (Tasmania) on 18th January 1838. Stowmarket was given as his native place: perhaps he lodged in Walsham with a local family. His convict’s record states that he was 30 years of age, 5 feet 5 inches tall, of fair complexion with light brown hair and dark grey eyes. He had a scar on one finger – he was a shoemaker as well as a maltster, which probably explains it. He was married with four children. In 1840 he was accused of “being in a public house during divine service” but was acquitted it being a first offence. In 1842, however, he was given one month’s hard labour for theft and misconduct and the following year had his ticket of leave suspended for misconduct. In June 1844 he married Mary Ann Reid, a dressmaker aged eighteen years and went on to have ten more children before dying of “paralysis” near Hobart in 1879 aged seventy-one. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday 26 January 1828 has a report of the Ipswich Quarter Sessions which notes that ‘John Sharman and Benjamin Jackaman were acquitted’ – no further details provided

Regards Lynn Bunce (nee Jackaman)
LBunce

Postby Editor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am

Hello, as your query appeared in the June issue I have had a reader respond to it and would like me to forward you this information:

Re Benajmin Jackaman born 1804 Stow Suffolk transported 1837 to Tasmania.
Think he was married to Sarah Jackaman , had 3 children James 1830 Mary Ann 1834 and Eliza 1836, all children were living with Thomas and Matilda Hordon 1841 census Stow Suffolk.
Also traced Benjamin Jackaman Bury Street Stow ..Baker
1830 Pigots Directory ..could be him
Trial of Benjamin Jackaman in Newspaper Archives 1837, he was aquitted in 1827 but fell foul of the law again in 1837.
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Judy Jerkins » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 am

your Benjamin Jackaman was caught and arrested with my Henry Ellis. They were both convicted and transported on the same ship too. They stole malt from a brewer at Walsham le Willows, Suffolk and both made good in Tasmania.
Judy Jerkins

Return to General research queries