Moderator Control Panel ]

Women at Boscombe Down WW1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Women at Boscombe Down WW1

Postby briarrose » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm

My grandmother was at Boscombe Down in WW1. I have a photo of her in uniform dated 1918. Am having trouble finding any info about the role of the women there at this time - any help much appreciated.
briarrose

Re: Women at Boscombe Down WW1

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 am

Some information about Boscombe Down is here http://www.boscombedownraes.org/?page_id=95 . I note that it only opened in 1917 as a Training Depot Facility of the Royal Flying Corps. It might be worth your while contacting the Secretary, Mr D Welman, with your query. However, I suggest that he (and indeed we on this forum) might be better able to help you if you had provided additional information about your grandmother: which branch of the services was she in; what does her uniform tell you?
Sylcec

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 pm

It would help if you could tell us what your grandmother's name was at the time as we might to find something which might help.
junkers

Postby briarrose » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks for your help people. New to the forum so will try to provide more info in any future posts. Her name was Lizzie Peters and I do have a couple of photos of her in uniform - sadly on a PC which is playing up so not available currently ! Will get together what I have and possibly repost when photos available. In the meantime will check the link - thanks again.
briarrose

Return to Military help